Tuesday, December 16, 2008

farewell

Farewell to dairy. Goodbye my old friend.

So as I mentioned, I had started to add dairy slowly back to my diet. No more than a toaster strudel everyday and potentially whatever was in a biscuit last night. I had thought maybe chocolate was the reason for his problems (and it's possible that's still the case, or at least contributes to the problem) but I'm suspecting dairy.

As you may remember he had been "sick" with a cold for at least a month. It mysteriously went away when I removed all dairy, but I thought it was just coincidence. Over the last few days he got congested again. But Tyler was a bit sniffly so I figured they both just had a touch of a cold. But last night he spit up through his nose again and this morning he vomited curdled milk. So, I can't not at least give it a try. So goodbye to dairy. All of the fun foods like milk, ice cream, and cheese have been completely out of my diet for 2+ weeks, but I have to say goodbye to every last trace of it for a while. No toaster strudels, no waffles, no cookies, NOTHING!

If you are incredibly bored here is a link from kellymom.com that explains food allergies and their symptoms.

3 comments:

Working Mama said...

I am sorry Heather BUT I can tell you we went dairy free this year and although it is a tough transition there are some good substitutes. Matthew drinks brown rice milk - it is on the thin side but they have it with vanilla, it is dairy free and it actually pretty good. The other one is almond milk - now I don't know if you need to avoid nuts but this is also a very good nutritious dairy free alternative. You can bake with either one too. Or soy milk..but I can't say for sure whether soy milk is dairy free..I tend to think it is not. But you can bake with rice milk or almond milk!

Heather said...

Yes, we do have rice milk on hand. Not too bad. I have yet to experiment with baking with it, but I'll obviously be giving that a try. The almond milk I looked at was loaded with sugar, so we went with the rice. Thanks.

Melodie said...

I can tell you from experience that whenever I drink milk or eat ice cream, I start get congested and phlegmy, so you could be right about the dairy issue.