Monday, January 5, 2009

ups and downs of military life

Seriously, military life is stressful! As reported in a previous blog, Al left to get back to Florida to the base because he was supposed to deploy to Afghanistan. Originally I was supposed to return to Florida today, but I decided to stay put to be with family. Al just called and his deployment is now delayed. Their stuff has aleady been shipped out and everything and they cancelled last minute! So now my original flight (to leave today) has been cancelled, our dentists appointments that we waited months for have been cancelled, preschool exceptions have been rearranged, our new flights have been booked and all that jazz. I had just decided to book a flight for the 22nd and now Al's new date to go to Afghanistan is BEFORE that, which means I'd be here while he is there and then I come home to an empty house for a few weeks. Even though it would be a huge hassle and confusion to Tyler (he has a really hard time with goodbyes) I decided we'd basically have to return right away, HOWEVER flights are INSANE!!! So i found a flight to Orlando next Monday, so as of right now I'll be home in a week. Of oourse I have no idea if Al will be there for long at all, but I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Hopefully everything will work out with preschool since he'll still miss a week. Can you say overwhelming?????!!!!!! I really am starting to thnk I'm not cut out to be a military wife!

However, I am happy to report that Disney (oh how I love Disney) has reinstated their awesome military deal for an incredibly reduced 5 day pass, so at least i have Disney to look forward to.

5 comments:

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

UUUGGG! Seriously, I don't know how you do it. I am such a planner and have to have everything in such order, I can't imagine having such drastic changes in plans. You are handling things 100% better than I could. I hope Al is still there when you get back.

Mike Dominik said...

Heather - we feel for you. You can always call AK some time to share stories, because we've "been there, done that", as corporate situations were not much more predictable, and you don't know how many times I had to say "sorry, honey, I have no control over it" when I had to go away. Military is of course much different in many other ways, I acknowledge that. When our kids were little, I was often on the road - a week home, a week gone, two weeks gone, etc - and it was stressful on her (and me too, though in a different way, worried about her). Situations change with time, they get easier, then better, then you forget the feeling though you never forget the memory of the difficulty. Hang in there, tell Al to call me if he needs to, and remember how many people care about all of you! UM

Homemade Happenings said...

I may not know how you feel, but I do know that you are handling yourself beautifully! I don't know if I could go do it. Hope your flight goes well and that Al has some time to spend with you before he goes.

Debbie said...

That is a lot to deal with, and basically on your own with all the traveling. I know that Al wishes it was easier on you, but from the few military wives I am friends with, it never seems to get easy. You really can't feel settled and let your guard down. I have a close friend that moved to Kansas just before Thanksgiving due to orders her husband received. He was in Iraq for 18 months, came home between Christmas and New Year's last year and now wants to go back and still be involved...leaving her with a 7 and a 4 yr old. I, along with most, give our upmost respect to the men and women that serve, but I'm sure less consider the spouses, not by their own avail, but just because mom's like yourself rarely speak of the difficulty. I admire your upbeat personality and the way you and Al work on keeping the most stable life for your boys...And it helps to have a wonderful family behind you also!!

Enjoy Disney!!! That is always something good to look forward to!

jamielblev said...

I'm so sorry Heather. I can't even imagine how tough this is on you and the boys, and on Al. I guess I missed the post that he was leaving b/c this was a shocker of news to me. It's tough, but you are a great wife, mom, friend, and woman. You CAN do this. When you get down, hit up Disney with that awesome discount since you are just down the road. ;-)