Monday, January 26, 2009

travelling

Yesterday we went to visit my grandparents in the Sarasota area. Tyler was so excited to see them, as he hadn't been to their "Florida house" since, I believe, early May. We had a nice lunch and visit, followed by some orange picking, and topped off with a trip to the grove (ice cream place)!

Oh, and happy 4 months to my little Jason.


Some photos of the day:






The day would not have been complete without SOME sort of medical issue. As you know, Jason had been "sick". His cough was getting worse and worse and he'd often cough so much he'd have trouble catching his breath and it would keep him from getting rest. While we were at my grandparents we noticed his hands and feet were purple so I began to worry about his circulation. When we got back I decided to take him to a pediatric urgent care center, since the regular urgent care center made a few comments about how he really needed the benefit of equipment made for his size. We got there and the nurse was surprised with his cough. The doctor heard it once and immediately said that they'd likely be doing a chest x-ray. However, after they did all their diagnostic stuff they determined, yet again, that the cough is not in his lungs. I'm thrilled that he's okay, but it is very frustrating to know when to take this cough seriously when even the doctor thought it SOUNDED bad enough to warrant an x-ray. Ugh. One of the questions he asked was whether he had any vomiting or diarrhea. I mentioned how he had had blood in his very mucousy stool the other day (twice), as well as blood tinged spit-up numerous times(this started on, I believe, Friday). I told him though that it's been happening off and on for a while but had ceased for at least a month. He asked what had been done about it and I replied that I had been told various things as to whether it was okay. He immediately said "sounds like a protein allergy". I mentioned the milk allergy and the potential nut allergy, and he seemed fairly certain that this was the cause of the blood (apparently it can take a while to get out of their system). He said (unlike what I had been told) that blood in the diaper that is red would NOT be from my own bleeding. It is however possible that the blood in his spit-up is from the frequent nasal suctioning. So, I guess that is some affirmation that allergies are a major issue for Jason, as sucky as that is. Good news is, Jason vomited quite a bit this morning which seemed to get up some of the mucus and seems to be a little more comfortable.

Today Tyler had school and he was sad to be apart from his mom-mom, so we decided to all pick him up after school and have a lunch date. He picked Dairy Queen. We played a bit this afternoon, and Tyler and mom-mom shared a few oranges (a special tradition they share). At dinner-time we took off for the airport. My boys (and myself) were both very sad to see her go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're always doing such fun stuff Heather! You're boys are lucky to have a mom like you! I hope Jason is feeling better today!

Jen said...

You have got to love picking oranges in January!!!!!

Melodie said...

Poor Jason! Did the doctor think the protein allergy is in addition to the milk and nut allergies, or possibly instead of? Just wondering.

Heather said...

The "protein" is referring to part of the milk and/or nuts. It's actually considered a "milk protein allergy" if that makes sense. So, no, he's not allergic to protein (like meats or anything) but the allergy to the dairy and/or nuts is considered a "protein allergy".