Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho

it's back to the pediatrician we go...(bear with me, long and boring post ahead...feel free to skip it)

So, only 4 days back at preschool and both of my boys are sick again.

You all knew about Jason. He has a cold and is pretty unhappy, but no fever or anything so I wasn't convinced I should have him seen. He's been spitting up a lot more, which is hopefully just congestion, but is still eating (even if it is small amounts, VERY often) and seems to be hydrated. However, because he's a baby and can't tell me what's wrong I finally called the pediatrician yesterday, due to the yellow mucus, but unfortunately the ever-so-annoying clinic was closed.

Meanwhile Tyler had a bit of a runny nose and a cough, but nothing that I was concerned about. After Daddy left yesterday Tyler actually fell asleep during his rest time, which should have been my first clue that something was wrong. After his nap I put Jason in the carrier and took off for the playground as I had promised Tyler. Not even 2 minutes later he announced he wasn't feeling well and wanted to come home. When we got home he went to get a snack and said his throat hurt when he tried to eat. So, I called his pediatrician (civilian doctor's office, different than Jason's) and they were able to see him first thing this morning.

Last night I tried to get some sleep. Even though I THOUGHT I was handling the deployment just fine, I laid in bed until about 3:30am. And then Jason was up at 4:15 coughing and not sleeping. It was a fun night. So instead of napping with J while Tyler was at school, obviously I had to keep Tyler from school to go to the doctor.

So, the verdict...Tyler has bronchitis. Fun, huh? They don't think he has strep, but he does have irritation in his throat and nasal passages, as well as fluid in his ears. He has a rattle in his chest which they said they wouldn't classify as wheezing just yet, but they want me to keep a close eye on him. In the meantime he's on an antibiotic and has new medication for his nebulizer, which (knock on wood) he hasn't needed to use in probably 3 years and hopefully won't need to use. They gave it to me as a precaution so we can avoid any late-night hospital visits, which I thought was nice. Thankfully though, so far he seems to be doing just fine, and in fact was asking to go back to school. I would NEVER have guessed he had bronchitis.

The story doesn't end there, unfortunately. Because of Tyler's symptoms I called Jason's clinic as soon as they opened, and lo and behold, not a single appointment available for today either. So, after Tyler's appointment I got to drag both kids over to urgent care to have Jason looked at. They listed to his chest, looked in his ears, measured his oxygen levels, etc...and determined he just has an upper respiratory infection. Nothing is in his lungs at this point, which is great, but I'm to keep a close watch on him as well. Due to his age, they don't want to medicate him yet, but I'm to keep suctioning out his poor little nose and all that fun stuff.

All in all, it's been an overwhelming day. I've never been so displeased with Tricare (military insurance) as I was today, having to drag both boys to separate doctors and not even being able to get Jason seen by a pediatrician at all. To top it off, I got home and there was yet ANOTHER bill for Jason from the hospital. We have NEVER had these issues until the last 2 months, and now there seem to be issues everywhere! Thank goodness I took the time to write a lengthy and detailed letter last month and succeeded in having Jason's case re-routed back to civilian care, so as of February 1st at least both of my boys will be back at Tyler's pediatrician. It can't come soon enough!

Calgon take me away...

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good grief! What an ordeal for you, Heather. Hopefully things will smooth out using the civilian doctor for both boys. I am so sorry you have had such a hard time. I can honestly say that we have been very blessed using the clinics and they have always gotten us in the same day. Your clinic down there sounds like it has some issues!

Anyway, I hope both boys are feeling better asap and you get some rest. Definitely not easy coping with all that and Al's deployment. You deserve a massage!!!

Hang in there and hopefully Al is back in no time and you guys get and stay healthy.

Melodie said...

I hope your boys are better soon and that Jason doesn't get worse and need to go back to the doc before the end of the month.