Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm here to collect my award...

for "Mother of the Year". Yep, 2009 has barely begun and I'm quite sure I've secured the nomination already.

Yesterday myself, Tyler and Jason were booked to fly home. We arrived at the airport and I strapped Jason into his Baby Bjorn after saying goodbye to my parents. I donned my backpack and took Tyler's hand as he carried (dragged) his rolling "suitcase" (really more like a backpack). When we got to the escalator I took his suitcase and we stepped on. I honestly don't know if I forgot to get his hand or if it slipped out of my hand, but regardless I hear a screech and look back and see Tyler's one leg planted on solid ground while he other leg is quickly going up the escalator. I immediately started trying to run down the escalator, all while trying to keep my balance as to not hurt Jason. Tyler manages to get the planted foot up and struggles for a few seconds, only to lose his balance and fall backwards down the escalator. He smacked his poor little head on the moving step, but luckily did not continue to tumble. I was desperately trying to get backwards, unsuccessfully. I was panicking and he was freaking out. Not even one or two steps back stood a gentleman (I use that term loosely) who stood there watching the whole incident unfold and did absolutely nothing. Thankfully a young man who was probably 5steps behind him came literally running up the escalator and scooped up Tyler and held him until I could take him from him. I thanked him profusely as I attempted to regain my composure for Tyler's sake. Luckily he was more scared than injured and I'm incredibly thankful that he was okay!

Our flight was pretty empty, which was nice considering Jason didn't want to be quiet. He wasn't too bad, but I did spend a good portion of the flight either nursing him, bouncing him profusely, or pacing the aisle with him. Tyler was as good as can be, even sleeping probably the last hour of the flight.

Being that I had to fly into Orlando, Al had left work "early" (meaning close to the time that he's scheduled to work until...not nearly as late as usual, lol) to meet us there. Our flight came in 25 minutes early and he wasn't there yet so I insisted he just meet us outside so as to not waste the time for him to park and come in. I had both kiddos, 2 carry-ons, and FOUR large suitcases. After the incident with the less-than-helpful man on the elevator, I was happy to see no less than 4 people offer to help me with my things. It's always nice to see people trying to help others, isn't it? So we were back on the road home before I was even scheduled to arrive!

As predicted, Tyler was elated to see daddy and was TRYING to catch up with him while Jason screamed bloody murder. Why must this child hate his car seat so much? We stopped maybe 25 minutes into the drive so I could try to feed the babe again while Al got Tyler and I some slurpees. Once I was convinced he wasn't hungry anymore, we set back on the road to listen to some more screaming. Thankfully he passed out eventually and we had relative silence for the last 20 minutes or so of the drive.

So, we are back in FL now!

5 comments:

Homemade Happenings said...

Oh, poor Tyler....Poor you! Yo survived though - you always do! Glad to hear you are back in Fl. give me a call after you've had a couple wekks quality time with the hubby.

Karlise said...

Wow, what an adventure! Welcome home!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I'm exhausted just reading your post. My jaw dropped at the escalator part. That must have been so scary but I'm glad he's alright. The more you post about Jason, the more he sounds like how Morgan was. She also screamed in her car seat on EVERY car trip. UG!

Holly said...

Poor Tyler! It amazes me how anyone could not help a child in trouble. What a horrible person!

I think you are superwoman to travel alone with two small children btw!

Anonymous said...

Ack! That is the Horror Story of the Year that thankfully has a happy ending. Wow Heather. hugs! But waah! I didn't get to see you this time!