Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Whoa, almost forgot to blog!

I know no one would be disappointed by this, but you almost had to pass the day away without a blog from me. Thank goodness I've regained my sanity (at least temporarily)!

Well, I had my first OB appointment today. Apparently they've switched things around at my practice, so I was expecting more than I really got. Essentially now they break up the first appointment into two appointments, so this week I had all the paperwork crap and next week I go in for bloodwork and to see the doctor. So, essentially I spent 2 hours today filling out the same paperwork I filled out last year, except the only thing that has changed was the date of my last menstrual period. WASTE of time. I thought I was seeing a doctor, but i guess that was just an assumption on my part based on my first appointment with my last pregnancy.

Brace yourself for some boring rambling....Anyway, MONTHS ago I went to the doctor to see if there was anything to be concerned about regarding my long, irregular, and painful monthly cycles. They did an ultrasound and ran a bunch of bloodwork (very thorough). The results finally came back in when I was in NJ (while Al was deployed) and they said it mostly looked good but that something looked slightly "off". They said I shouldn't be concerned but that my doctor could discuss it with me when I got back in town. So I came back, got swept up in the holidays, and totally forgot. As soon as I got my positive test, that "off" bloodwork result started to haunt me. So I called the OB and they said that my doctor would have to discuss it with me and it couldn't be discussed over the phone. Way to freak me out, huh? Well since I THOUGHT I would see a doctor today I thought I would have it discussed. As previously stated though, I saw NO doctor today. Just a less-than-helpful nurse who left me with the statement "it looks like something is wrong with your blood clotting, but you are really gonna have to wait until next week to talk to the doctor.". I tried to argue but I was frazzled and trying desperately to get Tyler OUT of the OB/GYN so I just left. I realized though that I would NOT be able to relax until I could confirm that my pregnancy was not at risk. I know some people need supplements to sustain healthy pregnancies and I could NOT let this go knowing that I could be jeopardizing my baby's health. So I called the office back after lunch and explained the situation (yes, I AM the crazy pregnant lady now) and the head doctor called me back within an hour! He was SOOOO sweet on the phone and put my mind completely at ease. Apparently ONE results was slightly borderline and they wanted to follow up on it to see if it was possibly related to my delayed ovulation. Well, obviously I ovulated at some point, being that I'm pregnant now, so there are NO concerns. He did review my previous loss with me, and said that they will do an ultrasound next week. He did warn me however that I might not see a heartbeat yet, due to the fact that I will only be 6 weeks along, but that he would "cross my fingers" for me! He did apologize for the confusion with the results and everything and, I must say, I just love my OB! Phew, I can breathe a sigh of relief!

3 comments:

Melodie said...

I am happy that your doctor was able to put your mind at ease. You don't need that kind of stress during this early period of your pregnancy.
I, too, was shocked when I went in for what I thought would be my first OB appointment and it turned out to be the same as yours - paperwork and a pregnancy test. Of course for me, it had been nine years since I had done all of this, so I figured things had just changed over the decade.
Good thoughts for your little bean to stick!

Scarlett said...

If you don't mind my asking, who is your OB? Someone local?

Heather said...

Zweibach (I'm probably spelling that wrong though). This was the first incident at all I've had that was slightly negative. Overall I REALLY like the practice, especially Dr. Zweibach (although I really like Dr. Vanegas as well). I think there was just some miscommunication.