Tuesday, January 8, 2008

And so it begins...

For 3 years I've been dealing with the embarrassment that sometimes comes with having a child. You know, the times they scream in the middle of a restaurant, manage to poop/pee on you in public,throw a temper tantrum because you won't let them eat frozen chicken nuggets in the grocery store, etc. However, I had been prepped that eventually Tyler would start SAYING things that would lead to embarrassment. I thought I was there already with the kinds of comments like "Mommy, I so hungry. Please give me food" (you know, 'cause he LOOKS likes he's malnourished). Or the "When I grow up can I be a monkey?" types of comments. Then we moved into the pee and poop types of conversation, which can be less-than-desirable. Like the time Tyler asked me while I was using a public restroom, "Mommy, are you pooping? Let me look.". Ugh. Anyway, today takes the cake though. As we waited in the checkout line at Walmart Tyler asked innocently "Mommy, is that person a boy or a girl?". Seriously, must we ask THAT in Walmart. Thankfully the cashier (yep, a GIRL) was talking to someone and I don't THINK she heard him. I shudder to think what I have in store for me next.

2 comments:

Melodie said...

When Sarah was about five or six, I had her with me while I was getting a mani & pedi. We were about five minutes from being done, and the lady doing my nails had even been nice enough to paint Sarah's nails, when Sarah says, "Mommy, why is she fat?" I was mortified. I immediately told her that the lady was not fat and that it wasn't nice to say rude things like that. Of course, I never took Sarah there again.

Scarlett said...

Once, when Hayden was about 3, there was this lady in Sam's Club that had a very "interesting" hair do... Hayden just pointed and said really loudly, "Oooooh, Mommy, LOOK AT HER HAIR!!!" By this time, said lady was staring at me, so I just smiled and said, "I know, honey, isn't it beautiful???" And moved him on as fast as I could. Oh my!!!