Friday, January 18, 2008

My new role...

So I have taken on the role of babysitting my neighbor's son. He just turned one, and he's a sweetheart. But he hates to be away from his mommy. She had originally hired the lady down the street, who does in-home daycare, to watch him but apparently he screamed the whole time she had him. They even did a 1-hr and a 2-hr trial run before she watched him for 5-hrs, but each time he screamed bloody murder, to the point he'd have broken blood vessels (or capillaries or whatever they are) on his face when she'd go to pick him up. I saw her walking him home last Friday and they BOTH were in tears and my heart broke for her. I know what it's like to question the decisions you make and she was about to quit school (she's back in college and taking courses) and stay home with him. I asked her if she would like me to give it a shot and you could just see the relief in her face. I had watched him a few times in the past, but when she had asked me if I'd be willing to watch him weekly I just wasn't sure if I could commit. But now under the current circumstances I just HAD to give it a try. No mom can watch another mother suffer like that and not TRY to help, know what I mean?

Meanwhile, I was a little worried. In no way do I think I'm necessarily a better caretaker than this other woman. What I had hoped was just that he'd feel slightly more secure with me, being that he knows me fairly well. I presume that he must just be going through some separation anxiety. But I was worried that I'd be holding a tired cranky baby for the 5 hours I would have him each Friday. Did I mention he doesn't fall asleep on his own either???? I wasn't necessarily worried about me, because it's only 5 hours a week, but I really just wanted this to go smoothly for her so that she doesn't have to second-guess herself...if that makes any sense.

So Tuesday I did a "trial run" for 1-hr. He was fussy, yes, and he cried almost every time I tried to put him down, but he did okay. Thankfully Tyler was endlessly trying to amuse him and pulled out every toy he's ever owned.

Today was the big day, the first day I'd watch him for the full 5-hrs. She was to bring him over at 12:00, and he apparently typically naps at around 12:30....but that's ONLY good if I can get them BOTH to sleep, lol! I wasn't optimistic about that. But he was great when they first got here. He even let me put him down and he was fascinated by Tyler Fridge Phonics. I got Tyler down for his nap around 1:00 and I tried to lay down with the little boy (which is how he naps at home) but he would have nothing of it. So I took out Tyler's stroller and pushed him around the kitchen for 15 minutes or so and he fell asleep, without a single tear. Yippee! Now this might just be beginners luck, and he might wake up in 2 minutes and scream until she gets home, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

You might wonder why I'm rambling on about this. Partially because, as sad as it sounds, I'm kinda proud of myself. I guess it just gets me thinking that I might retain a bit of my brain function if and when baby #2 ever comes along. I was thinking that every second would be completely insane, which it might be most of the time, but at least I can see that Tyler loves little kids, and he's going to be a WONDERFUL big brother...hopefully sometime soon!

Oh, and completely unrelated but nonetheless very important, Tyler has received his first set of tools. Al was organizing his tools and found some duplicates and left them for Tyler, so this morning we were outside playing and he decided to "fix" his Pooh train. Too cute!

No comments: