Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ummm, I'm not ready!!!

So Tyler apparently thinks he no longer needs a nap. Yes, I'm fully aware that I'm EXTREMELY lucky that my child was still napping until a few days ago. After all, he's 3.75 years old! However, he really seemed like he needed it. The child wakes up at what my brother would call "the butt crack of dawn" and crashes around 1:00pm. Often I'd have to wake him at 4:00 so that he'd stilll fall asleep at night. Bedtime has become more and more of an issue, but when I tried to have him skip his nap he'd be absolutely evil and still not fall asleep at night, and STILL wake up early. I knew the time was coming, but I was hoping that THIS would not be the time. LOL.

Well, on Sunday he skipped his nap because we were out and about while Al was here. On Monday he slept in until 8:00am (a rare treat) and then took maybe a 30 minute nap in his stroller on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. After fighting bedtime that night until about 10:30pm, he woke up around 8:30 on Tuesday morning. He NEVER napped that day, but I was able to convince him to have some "rest time" in his room. Repeat performance on Wednesday. Today he still woke up at around 7:00am, and after a 2-hour playdate at the park, I thought for sure he'd fall back into his normal nap routine, but nope. Napless wonder.

This wouldn't be so bad if he weren't SOOOOO cranky all afternoon. Seriously it's like watching someone on some sort of stimulant, running around like a crazy child, and then watching them turn into a whiny cranky infant. It's fun, let me tell you.

However, I will try to focus on the positive. He's been asleep each night by 8:30. Yep, that's all I got for the list of positives.

I want my naps back. Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

3 comments:

Scarlett said...

Giving up naps is hard stuff... If he's anything like Hayden, though, he might still nap once in a while. Hayden would do that. Most of the time, no nap, but if we were in the car, in the late afternoon, he'd sometimes fall asleep. He'll still do it once in a while. Usually now, though, he asks if he can take a nap, and he is wide awake the second I stop the car.

Debbie said...

Heather, this is a subject that hits so close to home...Jillian has NEVER been a good sleeper. Any change in a routine and we need about 3 or 4 days to try to get back on schedule. But schedule, we have none. Believe me, we tried...So the nap thing...We tried and we still tweak things and go with the flow...I only let her nap for about 1 hour...Nothing more. With that, we do not usually get her to sleep until 8:15/8:30...If she naps even 15 minutes over the hour...She'll be up until 9:00 or later...AND we do skip naps if we can and its a guessing game what we end up with...Early to bed, sleep through the night, or this past week, up at 12:30 a.m.! Yep, 12:30 a.m. pretty much, for the day...Did take a 2 hour nap around 10:30...But I cannot and have never been able to get a schedule. I've had advice from her doctor, friends, but she has her own mind...I do believe there are kids that do not fall into what "the book says"...Jilly is one of them...So yes, I feel for you with the nap or no nap, the wildness with no nap, etc....Good Luck...if you figure ANYTHING out, please, please advise me....LOL!

Melodie said...

Sarah never really needed a nap as a young child. Emily, however, required a good hour-plus nap everyday for a very long time. In preschool, the kids got to take a nap after lunchtime, and Emily was usually the last one to wake up. Once she started kindergarten, they had a 30-minute rest time, and Emily always had to be woken up from it. She was always so tired from not getting a long enough nap, that I had to let her take another nap as soon as she got home from school. I think she finally gave up her daily nap at some point in first grade.
Maybe since Tyler doesn't feel that he still needs a nap, but you think he still does, you should just make him have quiet time when he would have ordinarily napped. Tell him that he can take a nap, or he can quietly read his books, but that he has to stay in his room and be quiet for whatever amount of time you set. Maybe just having a little down time will help him to feel more refreshed after not napping.