Monday, May 12, 2008

Taken too soon

Last night I received a call, one which I can say I ever expected to happen. My dear friend, Christina, had passed away.

Christina and I met our freshman year in high school. I don't really remember how it all started, but I do remember our friendship blossoming. I recall taking a school bus trip that year to watch our Shawnee's basketball team compete in the finals, and on that trip Christina earned herself a nickname which would stick with her forever (much to her occasional disapproval). Christina said she could NOT figure out why someone would name their child "Dick". We laughed at her and told her that it was a nickname, to which she replied "for what, Dickald?". So, from that point forward, she was "Dickald", or, better yet "Dick". So, it's not as kinky as it sounds, and she would be so embarrassed if she knew I was sharing this, but frankly, mostly anyone who has known Christina for a long time also knows that she'll respond to the loving name of "Dick".

Anyway, our friendship in high school was just like any other. It was filled with talks about boys, trips "down the shore", sleepovers, proms, digging in holes, singing karaoke, and occasionally drinking too much. But above all, we laughed. And we laughed a lot.

College years found myself away in MA and Christina in NJ attending Monmouth University. Sadly, we didn't get together too often, and that was a time before regular cell phone calls or emails, so we pretty much drifted apart. We still talked and got together over breaks, but it wasn't like high school. Then again, nothing is ever like high school again.

As soon as we both graduated, moved back home and started working, we found ourselves hanging out again quite a bit, just like old times. It was often the 5 of us: Tracy, Jen, Kristen, Christina, and myself. In theory we were a little more mature, but not always. We often still acted like kids, but at least we were always having fun. Well, as much fun as you can squeeze in after work and on the weekends. Soon people started buying their own houses, getting married and even having kids. Our friendships all changed, but were always still a constant. Christina remained one of those friends that I could always call if I needed something. In fact, Christina was the first friend of mind to come and see Tyler in the hospital the day after he was born.

After I moved to Florida, Christina was one of a handful of people that was always on my list of those to see when I went back to NJ to visit. Thankfully I was able to arrange my last visit around her surprise 30th birthday. I will treasure that visit always.

That birthday party was 3 weeks ago, and yesterday, her life was taken from her. From what I understand, she thought she had the flu and went to the hospital. They gave her fluids and told her she'd be okay. She died the next day. So last night I lost a friend, a good friend. One that can't be replaced. My heart aches for the loss of my friend. But she wasn't just my friend and a friend to many. She was a daughter, in fact an only child. I can't imagine the despair of losing a child, and my heart breaks for her family. She also was engaged, due to be married 10/10/08. My heart breaks for Stephen, who lost his true love. They were a beautiful couple.

So, take this time please to remember those you love. Unfortunately we never know when they may be taken from us.

Christina, I love you and miss you already.


July 1995 (17 years old, yet acting more like 7 months!)


August 1995 (doesn't everyone like to dig holes at the beach?)


November 1995 (Senior year homecoming dance)


May 1996 (Senior Prom)


June 1996 (Senior Breakfast)


July 1996 (just relaxing with friends)

July 1996 (toga party at our shore house)

July 2001 (Kristen's going away party)


July 2003 (my wedding shower)

August 2003 (Jen's bachelorette party in New Orleans)

August 2003 (my bachelorette party in Atlantic City)

August 2003 (my wedding day)

July 2004 (my baby shower)

August 2004 (Christina and Tyler, 1 day old)

August 2006 (10 year high school reunion)

June 2007 (all my friends visit for a weekend in Tampa)

April 2008 (Christina's surprise 30th birthday party)

5 comments:

Scarlett said...

I'm really sorry for your loss, Heather. How shocking. It's wonderful that you have so many pictures and memories with your friend, though. I know you'll miss her forever.

Debbie said...

How sad and so young...I am sorry that you loss such a good friend...From the pictures, you two were very close and nothing can take that away from you. I'm sure she will be in your heart forever.....

Again, I'm so sorry!

Holly said...

I'm so sad for you and Christina's family!

Hill said...

Wow, I don't even know what to say except I'm so sorry. Losing a life-long friend like that must be horrible. I'm totally thinking of you, as well as her family, and I hope you can all get through this and continue remembering the good times.

Andrea said...

Oh gosh Heather, I'm so so sorry. I'm in shock. I knew Christina from school too, though you had a strong friendship with her. I can't imagine how you feel right now. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Christina's family.

It doesn't seem fair when a life so young is interrupted. Big hugs to you.