Tuesday, May 6, 2008

playing hookey

So this morning I flew out of bed at 8:50, thinking that, honestly, Tyler must have stopped breathing. He rarely ever sleeps past 7:00. I'd say the last time he slept past even 8:00 must have been a good year ago. Anyway I literally ran into Tyler's room and threw the door open. He rolls over, looks at me, and rolls back over to go to sleep. Phew, he's not dead! So I go and lay back down, adrenaline pumping, absolutely convinced that his fever must be back and he must be terribly ill. I went back in his room about 9:10 and he felt fine, temperature wise. I asked him if he felt okay and he says yes, but of course asks for some medicine (I didn't give him any). Normally we should be leaving the house in 5 minutes for preschool so, still convinced he may be sick, I ask him if he wants to go to preschool or just rest. He answers "just rest". 10 minutes later he wanders out and seems completely fine. I have NO idea what prompted the very late sleeping for him, but he seemed just dandy. So, I decided to skip preschool (we would have already missed 1/3 of it even if we rushed to get out of the door) and we head to the beach (actually the bay) for the morning. I figured I might as well enjoy it before it gets too hot for me and too crowded once school lets out. We packed lunch and had a wonderful time. We even found a shark's tooth! My plan was partially motivated by the fact that i KNEW I had to get him to use up a ton of energy if I expected him to ever nap today, and my plan worked. Not only did he nap, but (knock on wood) I think he's already asleep for the night as well. Gotta love those spontaneous fun days!

4 comments:

Working Mama said...

What a great idea! Playing hookey was a GREAT idea - not in the "let's skip school and be hoodlums" sense but in the "let's make the most of this" sense! I love it!

Andrea said...

Haha, in my mind, I read, "Playing hockey" and when I finished the post I as confused. ;)

I would have felt the same way upon waking that late to find Jackson still sleeping!! eek! Glad you had fun spontaneous day though. :)

Andrea said...

*was confused. Wow, I need some caffeine...

Karlise said...

What beach was it? I'd love to go closer to home. Can you swim or no?