Saturday, May 3, 2008

Could be in a for a fun night...

So last night I was BEAT after the drive and fell asleep within minutes of hitting the pillow (a rarity for me). I was awoken around 2:00am by a VERY whiny husband. In his defense, he was in pain, but he is also a man and therefore unable to take care of himself. I have no idea what I was supposed to do, yet I was awoken, apparently on accident. I'm not so sure. After probably 15 minutes of hearing him moan and groan, I head to the couch. So obviously I didn't have the greatest night's sleep. So, tonight the potential exists for a repeat performance.

On top of that, when I put Tyler to bed I noticed something odd. Well, first off, he didn't complain about going to bed, which in itself should have been a red flag. But he was also pretty warm. I asked if I could take his temperature and give him medicine, to which he just laid his head down and closed his eyes, so I decided to drop it. Afterwards I got to thinking. He did throw a total temper tantrum before naptime (unusual) and then passed out as soon as I put him down. He wet through at naptime (also unusual) and he barely ate anything today (also HIGHLY unsual). But aside from that he was totally normal. He had had a great day at the pool and playground. No other signs. But I decided it could be a rough night so I ran out to get him chewable Tylenol (he's been iffy about taking the liquid so I thought this might persuade him). While I was out he woke up screaming and saying he was sick. Al felt him and he was burning, took him temperature at 102.5 (very high for him). He asked Al for medicine so he gave him a teaspoon of liquid Motrin. By the time I got home (not even 10 minutes later) he was back to sleep. Since then he's woken up crying again saying that his head and throat hurt. His temperature was 101.5, but it was too early to give him anything again. He agreed to eat an ice pop which made him FEEL better, but he still feels really hot. Luckily for me, his typical response to a fever is to vomit until the fever breaks. Doesn't every woman dream of changing the sheets in the middle of the night. Luckily I have had good practice since I just changed them this afternoon after the peeing incident. Grrrr. Anyway, so I'm attempting to stay up until 12:30 when I can hopefully get him to take the Tylenol before I go to bed (that's if he's not up again before then on his own).

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Karlise said...

Poor Tyler and mommy! Hope he feels better soon!

Melodie said...

Since Tylenol and Motrin are different types of medicines (even though they do the same thing) you can give him both. You don't have to wait until the time is up from the Motrin to give him Tylenol.
That's what I've had to do with Katie and Sarah. I give them Motrin first, and then if it doesn't get rid of the fever completely, or if it comes back before it is time for more Motrin, I just give them Tylenol then.
Good luck! I hope Tyler feels better soon.