Thursday, February 7, 2008

We have a heartbeat!

Phew, I can finally relax a bit. At first I was getting nervous because they couldn't seem to find anything, but then they found a "sac". She asked if I was sure about my last menstrual period, maybe I wasn't as far along as I thought??? Not good, if you ask me. Then they found a baby with a little "flicker" (heartbeat). She said it was really small though, but lo and behold, it measured at 5weeks and 6days (I'm only 6weeks 0days based on my last menstrual period...so 1 day off isn't bad at all, especially considering I normally ovulate late to begin with)! She said her machine isn't sensitive enough to measure the heartbeat rate on a baby that small, so I don't know how strong the heartbeat is, but she said everything looks good. They will see me in 5 weeks. FIVE weeks. How will I ever make it that far? Well, I suppose if I continue on with these current symptoms I will survive hoping that everything is still going well. By then they should be able to hear a heartbeat with a doppler. Wahooo!!! They are still gonna consider the due date to be October 2nd, based on my last period, since the date she got from the ultrasound measurement was only 1 day apart.

It's not a great scan (nor is it easy to get a good picture of a 6-week gestation pregnancy), but here's my baby! It's the little blurb in the lower right dark oval-like shape.

As some of you know, Al was luckily able to go into work a little late so that he could stay with Tyler during my appointment. I had a few people ask why I wasn't going to have him be with me during the appointment. The answer to that question is simple. Under NO circumstances do you want to explain a vaginal ultrasound to a 3-year-old. LOL! I hope I can avoid that one for a while. Sure, I had to bring him with me last year quite a bit when Al was deployed, but at 2 years old he didn't pay quite as much attention. Geez, I could only imagine the questions I'd get now. Not to mention, we aren't telling him yet so it's easier to leave him completely in the dark. As you see though, I did get a picture, so Al was able to see that.

6 comments:

Working Mama said...

That is WONDERFUL news, Heather. See, told you they could find it. They always did early ones on me at the fertility docs and always found them. I know there is still nailbiting ahead but this is a GREAT start. And I had to take Matthew to ALL my fertility & OB visits with me and I just strapped him in the stroller and sat him next to me as opposed to "in front" (a.k.a. FULL VIEW)! It can be done but if you don't need too, all the better!
Andrea

Karlise said...

Yea!! Sending you more sticky vibes!!

Scarlett said...

Sounds like great news, Heather! My first U/S with Hayden looked just like that one! I called him my "little bean" for a long time after that.

Melodie said...

Congratulations, Heather! I'm glad things are going so well for you and your pregnancy.
I had a couple of early ultrasounds, too, and it's always great to see that little flicker on the screen. Also, don't worry if you don't hear a heartbeat next time - we couldn't hear Katie's with the Doppler at 12 weeks, so we got to do yet another ultrasound to see it.
Oh, and if you ever need a babysitter for Tyler while you go to the OB, I'm usually available and I'd love to help you out.

Heather said...

Aww, thanks everyone. And Melodie, I really appreciate the offer. If Tyler ever gets over his "I don't want you to leave me" phase, I might be able to take you up on that. LOL.

Hill said...

Hot diggity! Eric said you're nauseous (and I'm SO glad, but SO not glad, kwim?) Glad you at least got a laugh out of the peanut butter, even if you don't feel like eating it. Let me know when you get close to the bottom of the jar, and I'll keep them coming! Yeah, can't imagine taking the boys to a vaginal ultrasound-- the horrifying questions they would ask. "Mommy, what they doing?", "Mommy, what is THAT?", "Mommy, they use a rocket ship?" Horrible, horrible, horrible!