Friday, February 29, 2008

A bit of a scare

Late last night I started spotting. Not a lot, but it doesn't take much to freak out a person who had a miscarriage within the last year that started out just this way. I tried to sleep but I just tossed and turned. It didn't help that I was technically 9w1d when it was confirmed that my last pregnancy was not viable, and today I am 9w1d.

Well, the spotting stopped, but I called the OB's office first thing this morning. Thankfully they got me in at 11:15. They did an internal exam and my cervix looked good and I was no longer bleeding at all (very good news). They tried to find the baby's heartbeat with the doppler, without success. At first I thought that would be the end of the appointment, because the nurse practitioner assured me that everything was just fine and it was just probably too early to hear the heartbeat yet. Then, she must have had a change of heart, because she said "I know I would worry if I were you, so let me see if I can get you an ultrasound" (or something along those lines). They found the baby right away and there was a heartbeat. Apparently the NP wasn't able to measure the baby size or the heartbeat rate, but she said that sac was well-formed and everything looks good. They will see me again in 2 weeks. PHEW!!

Thankfully the OB's office has these nice little changing areas behind a curtain, so Tyler pretty much hung out in there. He did try to play peek-a-boo, but the nurse was wonderful and positioned a trash can in front of there, so between the trash can and her back, she didn't think he would be able to see anything. For once his questions were limited, and he was appeased with the answer "I'm just checking out your mommy's belly button" when he did question what was going on (during the ultrasound). Thankfully there were no questions during the internal exam, lol.

These are times when I must be happy that my dad does not read my blog. I'm quite sure, if was thinking of reading this, he closed the page as soon as he read the word "internal". If not, he was gone by "cervix". LOL. Dad, if you DID somehow make it through this, I love you and I promise never to utter the word cervix in your presence!!

On an unrelated side note, happy birthday to my good friend Hillary's boys, Josh and Gabe. They turned the big 4 years old today (or maybe just 1 year old, depending on how you look at it). Leap year day babies!

1 comment:

Hill said...

What good news (not that you got scared, but that everything is looking so good). That's terrific. I just about died when I read the part about your dad reading the word "cervix"-- that was priceless!