Sunday, April 6, 2008

Would it be selfish

or even just irresponsible, to drag Tyler to the mall tomorrow for the exclusive purpose of getting myself an Auntie Anne's cinnamon sugar pretzel? I'm really trying to justify this, that maybe it would be nice anyway since we could do lunch together and he could blow off some steam at the indoor play area without me having to sit out in the heat. But I am fully aware that I'd just be blowing money (not to mention, gas) so that I can satisfy a craving. But baby has to eat, right?

Did I mention that on Saturday Tyler had his first sitter ever? Well, not really, since he did have a babysitter regularly while I worked part-time when he was an infant. Since then (at about 9 months old) he's never had a sitter, other than my family. My friend Trisha did watch him once or twice when I had some important doctor's appointments last year, but that was really more of a play date. Anyway, back to my point, he hasn't really had a paid sitter, or at least to the best of HIS knowledge. I was VERY anxious about this, not necessarily about the sitter per say, but about how HE'D react. I'm sure some of you may remember the first few evil weeks of preschool, which was met with many a tear. He doesn't handle change well. So I was scared, to say the least!

Anyway, my little middle-school-aged neighbor was the lucky victim. Even though she's young, she has younger siblings (obvious experience) and she's great with Tyler. In fact, Tyler thinks of her as a friend (I even think he has a little crush on her), which I thought might be beneficial because he's not viewing his sitter as someone to be intimidated by. Well, my fears were unfounded. As soon she arrived he carelessly said goodbye to me, as if it were nothing. I was gone for almost 4 hours and when I got home he happily told me all the fun things he did. So, keep your fingers crossed that things continue to go well.

The fact of the matter is, I really didn't have anywhere I needed to go on Saturday night, but we had originally hired her so that we could attend a wedding. That was cancelled while Al was in Oregon, but I decided it would be good to let her get the experience with him before we really NEEDED her help. We decided that maybe we'll try to do a few dates from now on, just so that Tyler gets used to the routine of having a sitter. And, hey, having a night to ourselves isn't too bad either.

Anyway, so you might ask WHY I'm talking about this. Well, on Saturday I needed something local to do while Tyler hung out with the babysitter. Well, what better to do than shop? So, to the mall I went. It was glorious to go into the dressing room without commentary. But the thing I most looked forward to, from the moment I walked into the mall, was getting that Auntie Anne's pretzel. When I was heading out of the mall, bags in tow, I stopped for my pretzel. "Cinnamon sugar pretzel please". "Umm, that's gonna be about 10 minutes". UGH! At that point I was feeling a little nauseous so I decided not to wait for my pretzel. I have been kicking myself ever since.!!!

So, the question exists, do I drag Tyler to the mall tomorrow for a cinnamon sugar pretzel? I should be thrilled that these are the major dilemmas in my life at the moment! LOL!

3 comments:

Melodie said...

Definitely go get your pretzel! You deserve it after all of this time that you couldn't eat anything. Besides, you're not going to stop thinking about it until you get it, so you might as well not put it off for too long.

Working Mama said...

Oh please - GO, GO! He'll probably see it as a treat for him too! Pregnancy voids any need to rationalize your behavior or wants! LOL!
andrea

Karen said...

Absolutely get it!!! You've got to satisfy that pregnancy craving or it will drive you nuts!