Wednesday, April 9, 2008

More salt please!

So last night I had a BAD night. I couldn't sleep. I had a headache and horrible heartburn. I finally got sick about 5 times between 1 and 2am. Sometime around 2:30 I finally fell asleep. I woke up and felt okay. Well, okay for me at this point in my pregnancy. I played a little bingo with Tyler, got him breakfast, and around 8:30 or so I started to get heart palpitations and was getting dizzy. I would lean down and when I got up I would get these spots in front of my eyes. It was kinda scary. I went and laid down shortly thereafter, where I remained the rest of the morning. My poor child entertained himself and watched TV from about 9:00 until I put him down for his nap around 1:00. I only got up a few times to get him food, wipe him, change the channel, etc. Each time I would get the spots in front of my eyes, etc. I considered calling the OB/GYN, but I already have an appointment set for tomorrow AM and I did not think it would be safe to drive to the doctor's anyway. Al is on duty and won't be home until tomorrow.

Anyway, while Tyler was napping (aka: pretending to sleep) I did manage to drink some apple juice and ate some pretzel bites. The dizziness mostly subsided and the heart palpitations seem to have gone. My hands are still a little trembly, but not too bad.

So, it occurred to me, my blood pressure must be low and/or my blood sugar is low. Or a combo of both. At a doctor's appointment less than a week ago my blood pressure was 90 over 60-something. They found it surprisingly low. I did not. I always have low blood pressure. I had this same problem when I was pregnant with Tyler and ended up having to be followed by a cardiologist who eventually took me out of work, put me on modified bedrest, and essentially told me to lie around, eat what I want, and up the salt. I remember her specifically saying that she was prescribing me McDonald's french fries. LOL.

Tonight Tyler and I had a little date at McDonald's (the one in Walmart). I managed to eat a few chicken nugget and a few fries. It didn't go over too well, but I got some food in me and definitely some salt. We then went shopping and (amongst some other needed stuff) I got some gatorade (I think I may have been becoming dehydrated), ramen noodles (salt in a chunk o' pasta), and cheese and crackers. So, hopefully I can get that blood pressure up a little bit. I do NOT want to be doing the cardiology appointments again. Obviously I will if my doctor recommends it, but I would LOVE to avoid that. Yes, I will be honest and tell my OB/GYN tomorrow about my symptoms, but hopefully they can all be dismissed as normal pregnancy crap.

Now, if I could just eat some of those things I bought....

1 comment:

Working Mama said...

I hope you are feeling better - sure sounds like low bp or low sugar...but I'd certainly talk to your doc about it. take care and if your doc prescribes McD's fries...give him a big kiss! LOL
Andrea