Thursday, April 17, 2008

My fun evening...

So last night we were finishing packing up (I'm great at procrastinating) and we were hanging out in our bedroom as Al got changed out of his work clothes. Al is in the process of fixing/rebuilding my parent's computer and had the casing open on the floor of our bedroom (yes, I realize this wasn't brilliant). Tyler was getting off the bed, got his foot caught up in the blanket or something, tripped, and cut his forehead open on the metal edge casing of this stupid computer. He was bleeding a lot, or at least it seemed to me. Al FREAKED (he doesn't' handle emergencies well) and wanted to take him to the ER. Meanwhile the bleeding had already stopped and he wasn't crying anymore. I brought him next door to my neighbor's (she has 4 kids) for her opinion and she said he probably just needed a butterfly bandage, so i sent Al out for that. Meanwhile I realized the cut was deeper than I thought and it was gaping. I called my mom and asked her opinion and she reminded me (duh) about urgent care. In my defense I guess I wasn't thinking, and considering I've never been to one of them in my life (we don't have urgent care in NJ) I never even considered it. At this point it's 5:40 and we were supposed to leave at 6:00 at the latest for the airport. I throw Tyler in the car and rush to urgent care. I bring him in, sign him in, and then ask how long it's supposed to be. She looks at me like I had 12 heads (understandable...I just sounded like some mom who couldn't be bothered to deal with her son if it inconvenienced her). She answers, "at least 45 minutes before you see anyone. You have at least 4 people in front of you". I immediately start uncontrollably crying as I'm filling out the paperwork (not sure what came over me) and she looks kinda annoyed and says "uh, is everything okay" and I just start blabbering how we have a flight in just about 2 hours and we need to be on the road but I didn't know if it was safe to fly with him but I wasn't sure if I should just go ahead and call and cancel my flight. She tells me to take a seat and she'll see what she can do. Meanwhile Al goes back home, throws all my luggage in his car, drives (and somehow gets lost) on the way to Urgent Care, and switches all the crap into my car (since I have the only installed car seat now). A nurse comes out, takes a look at Tyler, smiles and winks. A few minutes later they call the names of the other people in the waiting room. They wait a minute or 2 and call me back. They explained that they got the other people into waiting rooms with nurses, but that I would be seeing the doctor first and get us on our way, which was so incredibly nice of them. Tyler was an angel while they cared for him and washed his wound. They said it was a very clean cut and was the perfect candidate for a liquid stitch-type product, so we were able to avoid standard stitches! My poor baby was so brave and I was so thankful that I brought him! I would have second-guessed myself all night had I not done so, but I never would have stood a chance of getting to the airport had we gone to ER. So yeah for Urgent Care! We got on the road at 6:35 and somehow made it to the airport by 7:20 in plenty of time for my flight (at 8:25)! anyway, I'm beat. Not only did I not got my rest time yesterday (I normally lay down or take some downtime while Tyler naps) but instead I packed. He NEVER slept on the plane, instead asked 14.2 million questions (that's another post in itself), and we arrived at 10:50. We were back "home" by 12:15am, and Tyler didn't fall asleep until we got some Tylenol in him around 1:15. Me, I didn't sleep until after 2:00. And, yeah, he was up by 6:25. Can you sense the sarcasm, lol! But we're here and fine!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds familiar. I think I already read this, lol. Just kidding. Have a great time in NJ and get some rest!

Melodie said...

Talk about Deja Vu! LOL

I'm glad you're all okay, and hopefully you can get some sleep tonight.

Andrea said...

Oh my! I'm so relieved Tyler's OK. How scary. I'm so glad everything worked out with urgent care! How awesome of them to squeak you in like that.

And yay you're in NJ! How long are you up? Maybe we can finally meet up and go to Crayola Factory or something?!