Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring break, day 4

Today was rather uneventful. I was still feeling like crap so we decided to stay put this morning. By mid-afternoon I needed to get out of the house so we took a quick trip to the library. I wanted to get some books on making my own baby food, and Tyler wanted a Disney Sing-Along DVD and some new books. After that Tyler spent the whole day annoying me by begging to eat the candy contained within the Easter eggs he collected yesterday, and then riding the sugar high from the candy that he was allowed to eat after lunch and dinner. Thank goodness it's gone, because I've decided that sugar is evil. I mean I already knew this, but the more I take note, the more I see the strong correlation between his behavior and sugar. Even more drastic is the time he has red dye, or so it seems.

The more I read about food (because of Jason's allergies) the more I want to buy all local organic food or start my own garden. Maybe live on a ranch? Have you ever looked at the labels on the food you eat? Scary stuff. Is there a reason that there needs to be red dye in Tylenol or Benedryl? Is there a reason that I can't pronounce half the crap on most of the processed foods in the store? As much as my diet currently annoys me, it has opened my eyes. And I do find I feel better when I eat more natural foods.

Okay, off my soapbox...

3 comments:

Homemade Happenings said...

I hear ya on this one! "Maybe live on a ranch?" - that one made me laugh - my "100 things about me" post included the confession that I secretly want to live on a farm! Simplify things - get back to nature more.

Oh, and Tyler wants to be a firetruck?? Too cute - that kid cracks me up!

Karen said...

That's what happened to me too Heather. The more research I did trying to find something to help Shawn, the more I realized all the crap that is sold at the store. You should consider joining the Weston Price Foundation. I belong to the yahoo group for the Tampa chapter (which is free) but I plan to eventually join the Foundation. They send out a magazine/newsletter each week that has a lot of good information in it. Oh, and I know it's a drive but you should check out Sweetwater Farms Sunday Market. They have lots of local organic fruits and veggies, raw honey, unpasteurized goat milk, unpasteurized chicken and duck eggs, and lots of other stuff. It's pretty neat.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way Heather! My MIL came over yesterday and brought big 'ole sacks of Easter candy for the kids. Thanks. They were awful last night and didn't go to sleep until after 9. I had to keep coming in their room to shush them.

I have concerns with J and *yucky* ingredients and definitely notice a difference in him when he eats it. We lucked out with this new place and a big garden. I'm hoping my seedlings make it to transplant time. I'm a newb at this gardening and usually have a black thumb! lol Try to look for an area around you that does share cropping maybe or more farmer's markets. Here's a cool resource I found: http://www.localharvest.org/.