Monday, November 3, 2008

First Bottle!

So I've been looking forward to this AND dreading this for a few weeks now. I really want Jason to be able to take a bottle, for one so that his daddy and brother get a chance to bond with him in that way, but also because (selfish or not) it would be nice to be able to get a break every once in a while. However, on the other hand, I was scared to death that he'd get that first bottle and never want to go back to me feeding him again. Plus, I LOVE that bond we have and I wasn't sure I was ready to hand over any of that to anyone else. I know, my emotions are wacky.

I had heard that you really should try to introduce a bottle before 6 weeks old to have the best chance of them taking it. So on Saturday (just over 5 weeks old) I decided to give it a try. I pumped a little milk while he was napping and then I did feed him a little when he woke up, just to sort of get the edge off. However, I only let him nurse for a couple of minutes and then I handed him off to his daddy, with bottle in hand. At first he screamed and spit out the nipple, wanting nothing to do with it. Eventually Al sort of squeezed some of the milk out and he got a taste of it and started sucking away. I'm guessing he downed that .75oz in less than a minute. And he was STILL hungry after that so I finished feeding him. So, success all around...he took a bottle but still loves me after all!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Congratulations!!! I always wanted Joshua to take a bottle for the same reasons but he wouldn't have anything to do with it, lol.

Melodie said...

Have you seen those cool breast milk freezer trays that freeze the milk in one oz. tubes? They make it really easy to put the frozen milk into the bottles and to measure since they're each one oz.

Also, I still have those Dr. Brown's bottle if you want them.

Heather said...

No, I have never seen/heard of them. Off to check it out! Thanks for the offer of the bottles, but I actually have 3 of them already from Tyler. I am hoping to stick with the BPA-free one I have (medela) but I guess we'll see if we continue to have success. Thanks!