Thursday, November 20, 2008

Back to normal

We're back, and thrown right back into the swing of things.

Last night I was back to pacing the house with a screaming baby (minus the time Al took to pace the house with a screaming baby). Back to my bed which I apparently currently share with an infant. Back to preschool for Tyler.

And right back to the pediatrician. Ugh. Last night Jason spit up blood, again. So I brought him in. They immediately tested him for RSV, again. Negative. Checked him to see if his lungs were clear. Good to go. So, the verdict is he's just a fussy baby with a nagging cough and congestion and perhaps in need of an increase in his reflux meds. They still dont' think my dietary intake has anything to do with his symptoms, but did say it's possible (although not at all likely). I'm gonna give it a few more days to see if I can pinpoint anything, and if not I'm eliminating practically everything from my diet. I can't at least TRY to see if I can help him, know what I mean? Geez, I went through every formula in the book to see if I could help Tyler and his symptoms, all the while kicking myself that I didn't continue with breastfeeding. This time I DO breastfeed and constantly second-guess myself if my intake is hurting him or whether he'd be better off with a formula for sensitive tummies. Apparently I can't win...mother anxiety and guilt takes over every time. Oh, and they guilted me about the fact that he's in bed with me. She said to try to get him out of the bed, but as noted "it's easier said than done". I NEVER thought I'd be co-sleeping, but for now the need to sleep is winning out. I'll see what I can do. I originally worried about him being IN my bed (with the risk of SIDS and all) but now I worry about him being OUT of my bed being that he often seems like he's in distress when either coughing or spitting. Like I said, I can't win. LOL.

The good news is he's obviously eating fine. 11lbs 2oz. That's practically 2oz a day (I was told they shoot for a .5 to 1oz gain per day). Apparently I'm destined to have chubby babies. That's okay, his little double chin is cute!

1 comment:

Homemade Happenings said...

Your doing everything you can - and I think you're doing great! Don't stress yourself more than you already are and get discouraged! I was told that breastmilk is better for reflux babies because it's easier to digest than any formula. And don't feel guilty about having him in your bed - no one can tell you what sleeping arrangements are best for your family. You do what you feel is best. Gabriella was in our bed until about 6 months because I felt the need to have a constant watch on her because of her reflux. Now Jacob is in our bed simply because I want my baby close. I don't care what anyone thinks! You shouldn't either.