Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

So today is, obviously, Election Day. I wasn't thinking this when I scheduled my flu shot for 10:30. I figured the polling locations would be crowded, so that wouldn't leave me time to go after I dropped Tyler off at school and before I had to go to my appointment, nor would it leave me time afterwards. Being that Al gets home so late, I wasn't about to wait for him, so that left me the only option of going by myself with the 2 kids. Sure, I'm guessing it's not at all an impressive idea to conquer voting with 2 kids, but I realize I'd NEVER done an errand with both kids alone yet. I always get my errands done either with Jason while Tyler is at school or with Jason after Tyler goes to bed at night. So, I was a little nervous.

After I sat in a waiting room for 40 minutes, I got my flu shot and rushed to school to get Tyler. We came home and ate a quick "snack" and fed Jason and we all got changed into warmer clothes (even though the high is 81 today, it's very overcast and chilly out) and packed a lunch and snacks and a backpack of activities and head out the door.

We got there and there was NO ONE waiting in the E-G line. So for once it's paid off to have an unusual last name! Of course I'm sure it also helped that I was there at an off time (not before or after work, and not even during traditional lunch break time). All in all, we were in there for less than 10 minutes.


Excuse the camera phone pictures.

Of course Tyler was disappointed that he didn't get to eat his packed lunch. So we then found a picnic table so he could eat his uncrustable before we left. Go figure.

You'll be happy to know that I put a little more thought into my decision than Tyler would have. I guess there is a reason children can't vote. Tyler wanted me to vote for "Obaman" because he has "a funny name".

All in all, although I was not looking forward to this, it is amazing to know that we live in a country where we actually get to have a say in something. And I think it's incredibly important to make this known to the next generation. Tyler found the process interesting, although I'm not sure he gets it at all. I was trying to explain that they count the votes and whomever has the most votes wins (even though that's not exactly how it works). He announced "when I'm 18 I'm gonna vote, but I'm gonna vote for the one who has the most". Eh, he's 4, he's got time to figure it out.

Now, can we please take down all the ridiculous signs all over the streets! Oh, and cease any and all commercials and unwanted mail requesting that I vote for particular candidates. It's annoying!

1 comment:

Melodie said...

I think it's important for kids to see their parents vote. They learn how important it is by seeing their parents vote during every election.