Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Not a true Floridian

Well, I assure you, although I've been here almost 2.5 years, I am in no way a true Floridian. Tonight we heard a very loud boom. Meanwhile our house shook. My dad went out immediately to "investigate" while I did some searching in the house to see if, hmmm, maybe my bedroom had collapsed or something similar to have created such a loud noise/vibration. A minute later my neighbor (also not a Floridian) called, and she was obviously scared. She had heard the same thing, so we weren't crazy. Come to find out, it was the space shuttle Endeavor's landing. Well, actually it was the "sonic boom" when the shuttle re-entered the earth's atmosphere (or something along those lines). Pretty cool in reality. When I later posted about this on my playgroup's website, it became obvious that this is a "normal" occurrence for those who grew up here. I would NEVER hear a loud noise and feel a vibration and just assume it was a "sonic boom". You don't feel sonic booms in NJ! Just today, as I wore my long sleeve shirt on the beach while my visiting family donned their bathing suits, I was contemplating whether maybe, just maybe, I was really acclimating to this Florida thing (I did not agree that 74 was truly beach weather). I apparently needed a sonic boom reminder to bring me back to reality! I am NOT a true Floridian. LOL!

2 comments:

Karen said...

LOL, just so you know...I did not automatically assume it was a sonic boom from the shuttle. I was in the navy and worked on airplanes so I've heard plenty of jets breaking the sound barrier, especially on cruise and out at sea where it's allowed.

Melodie said...

Several years ago there was a huge explosion at one of the TECO power plants (not the AB one) and I felt it shake the house while I was laying in bed. I just assumed it was a sonic boom, but I found out differently a few minutes later. Maybe it's not necessarily a good thing that we have so many sonic booms here that we just ignore them.