Monday, August 31, 2009

august 25th

Yes, I'm at such a lack of blog creativity that I have titled my blog simply by the date. Creative, huh?

So on Tuesday (yes, August 25th) I woke from another sleep-deprived evening with the chicken pox kid. After a lot of whining (from BOTH boys) it was time to get ready for Tyler's 5 year old check-up (I guess I can't call them "well baby" appointments anymore, huh?). Anyway, Tyler was freaked about the shots, but did pull it together. He did well with his examination, but did slightly freak when they checked his knees/legs. Not sure why. Everythign checked out just fine. The shots were less dramatic than I expected. My only concern I brought up was Tyler's anxiety, but the doctor says it's fine unless it's affecting his ability to learn in school or make friends. It's not, so hopefully it's something he'll grow out of. He weighed 41 pounds (I believe that's a weight loss) and was only 40.75 inches, putting him in the 10th percentile. Apparently the poor thing is taking after me in the height department!

So Tuesday was also Jason's 11 month birthday. 11 months? When did that happen? Anyway, obviously he still wasn't feeling the greatest, but as always he put on a happy face at least part of the day!

That afternoon Tyler finished up his piggy bank craft. So proud of himself!


Oh, I forgot to mention that the doctor (during Tyler's examination) upgraded Jason's diagnosis to "most likely" to be chicken pox. In answer to some questions on my last blog, yes, they can test for chicken pox. It involves a blood test and the doc said there would be no reason to put him through the test provided he gets better. There is no way to treat chicken pox, so a definitive diagnosis would really provide us very little information.

So that evening we went to Chick-Fil-A to let Tyler blow off some steam. I swear I wanted to strap a sign to Jason's chest which read "no longer contagious". I don't know why I bothered with a doctor, considering everyone in Chick-fil-A realized seemed to know the diagnosis.

However, I'm now fairly certain that it was in fact chicken pox. As we continually pondered how Jason acquired chicken pox, something popped into our heads. Remember those "bites" I had complained about a couple of weeks ago? Well, they had driven me crazy, but I had no reason to believe it was something I should have looked into. It finally occured to me that maybe it wasn't a bite, but something more. So Wednesday night I went to the doctor, and my "bites" were diagnosed as a "classic case" of shingles. Yes, I had shingles and didn't even realize it. I had the pain associated with it, but being that it was on my back I just assumed I was having back pain from lifting the boys or something. Never put two and two together. For those that aren't aware, shingles are essentially a grown-up version of chicken pox (they are from the same virus anyway). So in fact I infected my own child with chicken pox. Pretty sucky of me, huh? The good news is that we BOTH had mild cases of shingles/chicken pox.

3 comments:

jamielblev said...

Does Tyler show any symptoms of getting it now? Did Jason have the chicken pox vaccination yet? I can't remember at what age they get them. I'm glad you and Jason are better now.

Heather said...

Tyler was vaccinated and has no signs of anything, knock on wood. They don't get the vaccination until a year, so Jason hadn't gotten it yet.

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

Poor Jason in that last picture. He is looks like the poster child of sad. I heard shingles are REALLY painful. I hope you both get better soon!