Saturday, August 15, 2009

not a fun event

Thursday was Jason's barium swallow test. I was worried, especially since I wasn't supposed to feed him breakfast. Luckily he woke and nursed around 5:15'ish and then went back to bed until 6:45'ish, so I only had to starve him from then until the appointment at 8:00. Thank goodness though, because it was rough to deny a breastfed child his milk when it's right there in front of him!

Anyway, around 8:15 they finally brought us in and had me strip him down to his diaper. They then strapped him onto the xray table. He screamed and cried and it broke my heart. I remained calm and stroked his hair and sang, meanwhile he turned the other way and my normally non-speaking child just screamed "ma ma ma ma ma". They brought the xray machine over him and gave me the bottle of barium liquid stuff. Thankfully he drank almost 1.5 ounces, which was just enough for them to apparently complete the test. If I remember correctly (I was sorta focused on Jason and not the lab tech) they said his esophagus and stomach (or was it upper bowel area?) looked good, but that he definitely has reflux. We kinda figured that, although it had never been officially diagnosed. I did, however, think he had outgrown the reflux, which is apparently not the case.

Clothing on, milk in the tummy, and he was as good as new. My poor baby.

Oh, completely unrelated, but that my mom and I brought the boys to Freedom Park, which happens to have a separate dog park. Everytime a dog went by Jason would freeze and scream and make some sort of noise. We eventually realized that he "woofs". It's the softest cutest thing, but it happens consistently.

1 comment:

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

Awww... so sorry Jason had to go through that, but at least you have an official diagnosics now.