Saturday, October 11, 2008

When it rains it pours

Well, let me start off with some good news. Jason smiled for the first time yesterday! Not the mid-sleep smile you see with newborns, but an actual awake smile. He first smiled when Al was talking to him, and then later for me (but I got to see it both times). So precious! Yes, I'm fully aware that it's probably gas or something, but I'm allowed to think it was some sort of wonderful transaction. Sorry, no pictures of the first smile, but you'll have to settle for this cute picture of Jason napping on his Daddy's chest. He LOVES this position. His arms are often crossed just like that.

So, on to crappy news. Al goes back to work on Wednesday. Not just "work", but now they are sending him to Oregon on his first day back. He'll "hopefully" be back Friday. Lovely.

In anticipation of Al leaving, Jason has taken it upon himself to establish a true fussy nightime period. In fact, he screams non-stop in the early evening hours until Al can calm him down. I can't do so because he then THINKS he wants to eat (but instead fights me on it), but I guess I'll just have to come up with something.

So, on to more fun...Last night Tyler didn't fall asleep until after 10:00. Not sure why. He woke up just after 6:00, which is never fun, but he woke up saying that he was itchy. Sure enough he had bites on him...or at least what looked like bites. Probably close to 30 or 40 of them (mostly clustered). He was wearing a blanket sleeper so I thought maybe a spider or ant or something had gotten trapped in there and bit him. I immediately gave him Benedryl and he seemed fine. Nothing spread. When the pediatrician opened (they have "emergency" Saturday hours) I called and they said that it likely was just some bites or a viral thing, so unless it gets significantly worse I should just continue to give him Benedryl. Of course within minutes of their office closing I realized it was spreading. I called again and they said I could bring him to urgent care if I was worried. It spread again in just that time I was waiting and on the phone, so off to urgent care we went. Well, actually Tyler and Al went in-case it was something contagious that we obviously wouldn't want Jason to contract (we were slightly concerned that it was chicken pox). Turns out the culprit was the darn antibiotic he has been taking for 8 days now...an allergic reaction. It never even occured to me, since he has taken antibiotics before without issue, but it fully explains why it started to worsen so quickly this morning (after I gave him his dose). They gave him prescription steroid cream as well as suggesting continuing the Benedryl.
Sadly enough the hives continued to spread and I could provide far worse photos but they are naked pictures and I didn't think that was appropriate. We even had to call the pediatrician back (again) because his hands and ears were swelling. So, tonight we are on watch to see if he has trouble breathing.

Al is busy holding Jason because he can't get up from the bed without Jason waking, so for now I'm on Tyler duty (he keeps waking up moaning). Should be a fun night. Please wish us luck!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Aack! I'm so sorry Heather! I hope Tyler's rash clears up FAST and that Jason was maybe just having a bad night. Hugs! I'm sorry to hear about Al's departure. I wish I was closer to help!

Working Mama said...

Oh Heather - I can completely relate! I hope Tyler is feeling better today...the good thing it usually clears up fairly fast once you know what the culprit is. And thank goodness the urgent care was thinking. Matthew had a sever allergic reaction like that about 2 years ago - instead of regular hives, he had these monster hives that had bullseye spots on them & they then turned into bruises before they healed. After Hours Pediatrics missed the mark & told me "it couldn't" be the antibiotic Matthew had been on for 10 days (for a sinus infection) but after taking another dose (which the doc there said to do) he was so much worse. Fortunately the next day was Monday & we went to our pedi who said it DEFINITELY was the antibiotics. So don't be alarmed if the hives turn into bruise-looking spots. It probably won't happen b/c his hives don't look as bad as Matthew's were but it can occur. Hey, at least it's a reaction & not something contagious!

Karlise said...

Oh no! I hope Tyler is feeling better today!

Do you have a swing Jason can use during the fussy times? Or you could just wear him. That's the beauty of breastfeeding, they can always smell you! LOL

Melodie said...

I hope Jason's fussy times are over soon. Katie used to have her nightly "screaming hour". Her pedi gave us some colic medicine that we would give her when she started up, and it significantly shortened the screaming time. She was over it after a few weeks.
I'm so sorry that Tyler is having to go through this allergic reaction, but thank goodness that it's nothing he can pass on to your or Jason. I hope he feels better soon.