Thursday, October 23, 2008

we're back from the doctor

The good news is, Jason's gaining weight like a champ. He was 7lbs 12oz exactly 2 weeks ago and today he weighed in at 8lbs 14oz. Which means (for those of you who can't do math...he, he) that he's gaining over an ounce a day! Not bad!

The bad news is, history is repeating itself and now Jason has been diagnosed with reflux. I knew it was true, but I guess I just didn't really want to believe it. We dealt with so much crap with Tyler and his reflux and just the term "reflux" brings back HORRIBLE memories of spitting up, non-stop screaming, constant clothing changing, medication, formula changes, bottle changes, sleepless nights, etc.

So, the doctor prescribed us Zantac for the little guy. She doesn't really think my diet (specifically the dairy) is causing the problems, although she said that I obviously shouldn't eat anything that bothers ME because it would likely bother him. For now I'm gonna keep off the dairy (at least the obvious culprits) just until I can get him feeling better...then we'll see about reintroducing it later down the road.

We spent the whole morning at the doctors and the pharmacy before going to pick up Tyler for school. I gave Jason his first dose of medication, mixed with breastmilk at the pediatrician recommended (which will be fun to be pumping milk everyday) and he promptly vomited up the medication within 10 minutes. True vomiting, not spitting up. Fun, fun. So, wish me luck with tonight's dose!

1 comment:

Homemade Happenings said...

Poor littel guy! I didn't know Tyler had reflux when he was a baby - at least you have some experience with it. I know it's tough - just trying to thing of the positive aspects. I think that may be the only one though! Hope the meds help him.