Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 19-24

September 19: Dottie and I had plans to go to Great Adventure. We were able to get 2 people in free so we had made plans to go on the only day that really worked for us. We planned on meeting just after lunch and it worked out perfectly. Tyler had a great time with his cousin Carli. He even got to try out a ride he had been waiting for, the Runaway Train (I think that's what it was). His Aunt Dottie helped him spike up his hair and stand tall to make it through the height requirements. He loved the ride and they ended up riding again with me. We fit in quite a bit of rides in the short time we had (about 3.5hrs) before the boys and I had to leave for a boyscout thing with Tyler.










We literally arrived at Camp Ockinickin in the nick of time to get Tyler quickly changed in the car and run to the campfire. Even so, we were a couple of minutes late, but thankfully not the latest to arrive. Poor Jason apparently was jealous, so he ended up wearing Tyler's tiger scout t-shirt. He is quite convinced that he too is a scout. He happily bopped about to the songs and "performed" during skits. He had a grand time, and I'm pretty sure people got a kick out of him, even though he was a bit of work for me. LOL. Tyler had fun at his first big event, probably due to the smores!




September 20: After dropping my mom off at PT I took Jason to the library to pick out some books. Apparently it was more fun to line up dinosaurs.

Then a quick trip to Freedom Park before picking up my mom again.

That evening I took Tyler to the new Monday night Kids Fit at the gym while Beth and I exercised. Jason was quite jealous that he had to stay in the nursery.

After Ty was in bed I had to do something that I had hoped to avoid...or at least in 1st grade. I don't want to go into too many details here in my blog, because our town is a small town and I don't want to spread rumors. Short story is that Ty's behavior since school started had been poor...really poor. Eventually I dragged it out of him that he was being bullied (not his word, mine). I tried coaching him through responding in a different way, with no luck. So this day, after another incident, a wrote a nice long letter to his teacher about the interactions. I since learned that the bullying is not limited to Tyler, which in some way makes me feel better to know that Ty isnt' the sole target of this child's inappropriate behaviors.

September 21: I'm assuming Jason had his typical Tuesday therapies, but otherwise I have no idea what we did. Probably hit the gym? I did get a letter back from Ty's teacher and was hopeful that that would be the end of that situation (turns out, I was wrong)

September 22: On the first day of fall, after school, we decided to enjoy what would probably be our last day at the lake. It was too cold for me for sure, but not for Tyler at all.

Another round of soccer practice that night. Getting old. Getting really old, especially since Tyler doesn't even seem to enjoy it at all.

September 23: Today was the first day of fall, so after dropping my mom off at PT and running some errands it seemed appropriate to kill some time at dunkin donuts while we waited for my mom to get done PT.

I had been discussing with my parents the possibility of signing Tyler up for Karate, but after the bullying incident we decided it would be a good time. Not cause I want him to practice karate on this kid, but because it's supposed to be good for building confidence and strength and discipline. And, later down the road, if necessary, he would know how to defend himself...NOT in first grade and certainly not unless necessary. Anyway, my dad came home from work with information about a local karate studio run by a friend of my dad's friend. We decided to check it out. We just watched a class that evening, but Ty was happy to see another fellow first-grader there.

September 24: After taking my mom to PT I finally tried an official storytime at the library again, after fleeing quickly after Jason's meltdown at the last one many months ago. He did pretty well, and was quite happy with his carpet square. LOL.

Afterwards, a little chick-fil-a lunch. Yummy. Always nice to have a little playdate with my youngest little man.

That afternoon I brought Tyler in to meet with Master Turley at the karate studio. They had a brief lesson, which Tyler liked, so I took the plunge and signed him up for 6 months.

We were back there an hour later, in the new uniform, for his first official class. I must get back there with my real camera because the iPhone photos are unfortunate.



That night I think I was able to get out and finish up some shopping for Jason's birthday party.

No comments: