Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Last day as a family of three!

Today was relatively uneventful. Pre-op at the hospital went smoothly, despite the fact that they had to attempt THREE times to get my blood work (makes me excited for the IV insertion tomorrow). Then my pre-surgery appointment at the OB's office was quick and I was home in time to pick up Tyler from preschool (Al had taken him there as he started his "leave" today).

We had a light lunch and hung around the house and then he "rested" nicely while I napped. He, he.

We asked Tyler if he wanted to go out for dinner, figuring he'd say yes. Instead he wanted to stay home and eat pasta. Go figure. So we did that and then it was off to miniature golfing. I must say, the weather was GORGEOUS and if there were more days like this in Florida I might not despise it so much. There was a beautiful breeze and the humidity was very low. Tyler had a ball playing miniature golf, even if his form isn't quite up to par (and I assume that putting the ball into the hole with your hands is against the rules).
We had some ice cream before heading home and getting ready for bed.
At bedtime we normally have a routine of 2 books, 2 "people helping people" (long story) and 2 songs. I offered to do 3 books, because really I wasn't ready to say goodnight, and of course he coerced 3 songs out of me too. My silly little boy will often pick songs like small world, twinkle twinkle traffic light, and frosty the snowman (no matter what the season). Tonight he asked for "End of the Rainbow" (which is really "Daddy's Little Girl", which I sing as "Mommy's Little Boy"), "Jesus Loves Me", and "You are my Sunshine". I couldn't help but cry, but I did hold it together.

He totally (in theory) understands what is happening tomorrow and that "my baby Jason" will be here. The reality of it though is nothing he can understand, so I feel anxious for him more than anything.

I'm a bunch of emotions right now, which I will spare you the details of. For now I'm off to the airport in a bit and then I will ATTEMPT to get some sleep before heading to the hospital VERY early (I have to be there at 5:30am)!

3 comments:

Working Mama said...

I think I can (as most of us probably can too) relate to what you are feeling. I was really quite an emotional wreck - but held it together in front of Matthew - the night before my induction with Patrick. As excited as I was to have Patrick I do admit I felt so much guilt & loss over losing the one on one with Matthew. I felt so badly about not being able to give all my attention to him and about losing our family of three. Do not get me wrong, I couldn't be happier as we are and I was thrilled having Patrick but you always have to let go of something before you can gain something new and it was hard to let go. I'll be thinking of you & can't wait to see you & your new family of "4"!

Hill said...

It's crazy, isn't it-- the things you take for granted? Those little things that you are SO used to that it makes it tough to say good-bye to your routine. I cannot WAIT to see Jason and I hope to hear from you soon (although I completely understand that you'll be more than a LITTLE busy!) Lots and lots of love from OK!

Melodie said...

I'm so excited for you! Tyler will be a great big brother, and will most likely love helping you take care of Jason. I can't wait to meet your new little guy. Of course, Tyler will still be one of my favorite boys, and one of Katie's favorite friends.