Monday, September 15, 2008

History repeats itself???

So just over 4 years ago I was patiently waiting to have my Tyler. Meanwhile, EVERYONE else was heading to the hospital. In fact, I was as well, but only to visit others. LOL. My mom was hospitalized. In fact she was still there on my due date and I remember visiting her and people thinking I was nuts (it was about an hour or more away) but, come on, I was going to a HOSPITAL. What's the worst that can happen? Anyway, I recall her telling the doctors that she would sign herself out if they didn't discharge her because she WAS going to be there for the birth of her grandson. Luckily she was discharged in time, only because Tyler was a stubborn late baby, but all ended up working out okay. I'm sure she was in severe pain still, but she hid it.

Then there was Al. He managed to scratch his cornea late one night, AFTER my due date had come and gone. I recall driving him to the hospital at like 1:00AM or later and people trying to bring ME a wheelchair, obviously just assuming I was in labor. Nope. I'm sure you can imagine my sarcasm was in full force that night. No, not in labor, just here cause my husband has a boo-boo on his eye. Okay, I know a cornea scratch is likely painful, but my sympathy was no longer where it should have been.

So, here I am 4 years later. Due in 10 days with Jason (it still feels funny to call him that). My mom is currently highly medicated and nowhere near ready to come to Florida. Al is on his way to urgent care this afternoon as he thinks he may have burst his eardrum or something. Ah, yes, history repeats itself!

Edited to add: I should mention that neither of these people are normally attention seeking. My mom is NOT bothered by pain. As she'd happily point out, she grew up with 3 brothers. She was/is tough! Okay, Al can be a BIG BABY sometimes, but he's not one to go to the hospital or even see a doctor. He has not been to an ER/urgent care for himself since the cornea incident. And he NEVER goes to the doctor except for routine stuff (which they are required to keep up with in the military).

1 comment:

Melodie said...

Phil burst one of his ear drums several years ago (actually before we got married). I remember him complaining about his ear being in severe pain, and I told him that he needed to go to the doctor before his ear drum burst. Later that night, he was laying down and his pain was really bad and then he heard a pop and suddenly fluid came dribbling out of his ear. He went to the doctor the next morning and his ear drum had burst. And yes, I said, "I told you so."