Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hospital, take 3

Nope, this time is was NOT me.

So, let me back up a bit. On Monday morning we had plans with my friend Melinda to take our kids strawberry picking, eat lunch at the little cafe there, and then come back to my parents house so the kids could play at the lake down the street. So, strawberry picking went well...
Afterwards we found a picnic table to eat our lunch. Tyler hadn't touched a bite of his food (which included an apple cider donut, yum) and started whining that his tummy hurt. I thought maybe he had eaten a bit too many strawberries, as he has spent most of his picking time like this:

So I figured maybe his tummy was bothering him a tad, but he was persistent about not feeling well and started whining and crying and saying he wanted to go home. At that point i realized he must really be feeling pretty poorly, because most kids (at least mine) don't pass up lunch and a trip to the lake. Then he ASKED to go take a nap. Yes, that's right.
By the time I got him home (less than 20 minutes later) he had a fever. I gave him some Motrin and put him down for a nap. He crashed. He woke up feeling better, so I thought it had just been a fluke thing. That night I went to the hospital (Hospital, take 2) and Tyler stayed home with my dad. While we were there apparently he stayed glued to my dad's side while watching TV. His fever spiked and my dad gave him Motrin and then he ASKED to go to bed.
All day Tuesday he ran a fever. He was relatively okay when the fever was being at least slightly controlled, but the second it came back, he was a mess. Even the low fever moments were spent in a pretty clingy fashion. He wasn't really eating but drinking enough that I wasn't too worried. He had pretty vague complaints of a sore tummy and head. No other symptoms. By that night he was still running a fairly high fever about 3 hours after the Motrin so I went out and bought him Tylenol as well so that I could rotate the two. It was a LONG night with him up off and on, a very high fever, complaints of wanting to "hiccup all over" (aka: vomit), etc.
Wednesday morning I called his pediatrician, just to see when I should be concerned about the temperature and what exactly I could do as far as rotating the Tylenol and Motrin. The nurse wasn't overly concerned about the fever, but asked me if his complained of a sore throat because it sounded like it could be strep. She said, if that were the case, I needed to bring him to urgent care (or the ER in our case, since we don't have urgent care in NJ). I went and asked to see his throat and he screamed that his tongue hurt. I couldn't really get a good look, so I figured I should bring him to be seen.
By the time we got to the hospital, as luck would have it, his fever had dropped significantly. It must be a requirement for all children to make liars out of their parents. Anyway, they checked his ears and throat and everything checked out fine. They also checked him for a rash since apparently hand, foot, and mouth disease is going around. Nothing. So, they gave me the appropriate dosage of Motrin (apparently I had been under dosing him since I was just going by the age and weight range on the bottle) and sent us on our way. The trip wasn't a total waste, since at least I got some peace of mind and the correct Motrin dosage, plus Tyler got two very nice stickers and he loves his hospital bracelet.
In general his fever is down quite a bit. He's still complaining of a sore tummy and is very whiny and clingy. Good news is, I have my napper back for the time being. Plus,he's very snugly. Is it evil that I enjoy when he needs me to cuddle, even if it does mean that he's sick?

2 comments:

Melodie said...

Did they do a Strep test, or did they just look and say that his throat looked normal?

I took Katie to urgent care (After Hours Pediatrics) when she had a high fever, and they said that everything looked fine and that her fever must have been caused by something viral. The next morning I took her to her pedi, and he said her throat was bright red and then did the Strep test, which was positive. If I'd listened to the first doctor, she would have stayed sick a lot longer.

Anyway, might point here, is just keep an eye on him and go with your gut. I did and it was the right thing to do. And even if I had been wrong, I would have felt better knowing that I'd gotten that second opinion.

Karlise said...

Did he somehow pass it on to Ian? LOL Ian started getting sick tonight. Hopefully they'll both be one the mend soon.