Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hospital, take 2

So last night it was back to the ER I went. It's been over 2 weeks since I was there, and I was told that my pain should not last more than a day or two at the most and should subside completely. If it were not to go away, I should come back because they hadn't ruled out appendicitis, gall bladder, or kidney stones. So, after a few days of off-and-on intense pain, i decided to go last night. I was in very bad pain and I had had enough.

I get there and of course it's a different doctor. Apparently he thought there was nothing wrong with me. When I came the first time they did an almost immediate ultrasound, cervix check, blood work, etc. This time, urine analysis only. He palpated around my abdomen and said "yep, that's just round ligament pain. I'll give you some Tylenol.". So, 3 hours later I was discharged after being ASKED if I wanted to stay overnight for more tests (the same ones I had 2 weeks ago) or just to go home. At that point i knew the tests weren't going to show anything different. He said appendix pain would be more acute, kidney stones would definitely show blood in my urine (not present) and gall bladder pain would be higher. He felt completely differently than the doctor the first night about the presentation of round ligament pain. He said it can be intense like this, won't necessarily go away, and can be very painful to the touch. So, pretty much I felt like an idiot who had spent 3 hours there for Tylenol and water (dehydrated again).

The good news is, if this doctor is right, I'm not doing any harm to the baby at all. He said I should "take it easy" because I'm gonna cause myself pain if I don't, but that round ligament pain is just a problem for mom. It doesn't have any impact on the baby. I am very happy that it likely isn't anything serious, and even though I feel like a wimp for whining over ligament pain, I know it will be much easier to stomach the pain knowing that I'm not doing the baby any harm.

So, right now I'm home resting since Tyler is sick anyway (I'll probably post about that later) and trying to drink up. I have no idea how I got dehydrated again, being that I thought I was doing much better with my water (or decaffeinated beverages) consumption, but the doctor said I might need 2-3 times the amount of water I drank a day before pregnancy. Being that I used to drink 64 ounces a day, 2-3 times that sounds impossible. I might just live in the bathroom. LOL.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I sure hope that you feel better quick...Are you back in Florida or still in Jersey? Hopefully you have the extra hands to help you out with Tyler....And I hope he feels better too...

Kandee said...

I'm glad to hear it's nothing really bad like gall bladder. I had ligament pain with Sean and Grace. I don't know if it was as bad as yours, but I remember not being able to move after lying down because of all the pain. It hurt to use any muscle to roll over. I don't remember how long it lasted. Take it easy, and drink up. :)

Melodie said...

When I got dehydrated and went into labor with Sarah, they gave me this large 32 oz. plastic cup and told me that I needed to drink a minimum of three full cups of water each day. That was 96 oz. per day. I had a hard time with that one.