Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Heat Wave!







So the last 2-3 days of my time in NJ were VERY hot. I mean so hot that schools were being closed, let out early, etc. NJ just does not know what to do with that type of temperature, especially in early June. Some reports said it was over 100.

Anyway, so what did we do to beat the heat? The beach, of course! On Saturday I took Tyler in the evening. We went back Sunday night with my parents. Then Tyler and I went on Monday morning, and then we were back on Monday night with my parents, my brother, and my grandparents!

Now anyone who knows Tyler realizes that he's not the most adventurous kid. He's always liked water, but he likes to be in control at the edge of the water. I've never wanted to push him (although I have considered it being how important water safety is) so we've just gone at his own pace, which so far has brought us really nowhere. He wouldn't go out past his waist usually and hated to get his face wet. Well, lots of silliness (and peer pressure of course) got us very far in those few days. He learned to put his face in (not his head, but I'll take what I can get), kick his feet, and blow bubbles. He'll even let me put him on his back a little and he'll kick around. He LOVES splashing now and will go up to his NECK in water. I was soooooo excited.

By the way, catching "tagpoles" is very fun!

So now it's my job to make sure he gets lots of water exposure this summer so that I can keep that interest intact, and hopefully expand on it. I think some trips to Lithia Springs are in my future, because I'm a beach/lake type of gal, and not necessarily a pool person.

No comments: