Monday, August 18, 2008

Birthday Boy!

Okay, it's not his actual birthday yet (not for another week) but we had to celebrate Tyler's birthday on Saturday. In reality it was a VERY last minute party. We are celebrating Tyler's birthday weekend in Disney, so we weren't going to do a "party" in addition to that but he started asking questions about his birthday party...so I felt guilty. So then I had planned on doing something AFTER his birthday, but incredibly-clueless me, on WEDNESDAY, realized I HAD to have the party on Saturday. My parents are here now, and they are now sending Al away tomorrow until Thursday, so if we didn't have the party this weekend the party would have to be held without his grandparents or without his father on a different date. Neither sounded like a good option. And having the party tonight (Sunday) wouldn't have been good either, with the start of school for everyone tomorrow.

Anyway, now that I've covered that boring back story, I will share that this neglectful mother contacted the guests on Thursday and managed to order Tyler's apparent dream cake (involving dinosaurs and a volcano) and managed to pull something together in time. All in all, I think I managed to make him quite happy, although apparently I must post another note to myself next year that all parties apparently must include carrots and dip. Hmm. I must say, if that was his only complaint, I guess we did fairly well.

I was in a quandary as to whom to invite, being that it was SOOOOO last minute, and being that our house is so small (with a bad weather forecast predicted), I was afraid to invite too many people anyway. So it ended up being just myself and Al, my parents, my neighbor and her son, his little friend Dionna and her new housemate (I won't get into that), and his friend Gabriella and her parents. But it was just perfect. Tyler got to play with his friends, eat pizza, gobble up some obnoxiously colorful cake, open presents, and then do some more playing. It was all topped off with providing gift bags to our guests, which, according to Tyler, was a huge highlight of the party.
Tyler got some awesome gifts, so we've been busy around here playing!

2 comments:

Working Mama said...

Well I'm so glad Tyler got to have his "dream" cake! That kid is just too cute. Thank Heavens for goody bags too! It sounds like you saved the day & through together just the right little party for him! If you need anything while Al is gone, please let me know!

Melodie said...

Phil is gone this week, too. Just what I need with a hurricane coming at us.

I'm glad Tyler had a good party. I'm sorry if I contributed to his need for a party. Was that Gineen's Gabriella that came to his party? I was just thinking about her yesterday.