Friday, February 6, 2009

pet peeve alert

I'm sure we all have them...those things that drive us batty. I have quite a few, but this time of year reminds me of one of my major pet peeves. The word is ValentiNe, not ValentiME.

I was watching TV as I nursed Jay this afternoon and I had on Judge Alex. A TV commercial came on for the Gold & Diamond Source. It's a local commercial (the company is based in Clearwater), so can any of my Tampa Bay area friend confirm for me whether or not they actually used the word ValentiME in a paid TV ad? You would have thought SOMEONE would have let them know that this was a no-no. Perhaps my ears deceived me. I did rewind it, but I couldn't turn it up loud enough to hear without waking Jason.

My TV ad rant reminds me though, is anyone as thoroughly disturbed by the 1-800-ASK-GARY ads as I am? They usually feature an actor/actress promoting the company, instead of the lawyers themselves. That's fine, not everyone is ready for the TV, but who in the world is casting these commercials? Or are they particularly trying to gear themselves towards a certain clientele? Seriously, how can you promote a company by starting off the commercial "Hey y'all, it's Razz here. I'm no lawyer, I'm a spokeperson for 1-800-ASK GARY". No kidding, you aren't educated enough to be a lawyer? Shocking. It's bad enough that they used "y'all", but "I'm NO lawyer"? Geez. The same commercial also states "call 1-800-ASK-GARY. You MIGHT be glad you did". I'm sorry, I'd prefer to call a company where my chances of satisfaction are greater than "might". They have another equally annoying commercial, but the details escape me right now.

Okay, I'm glad I have that off my chest. I will now do my best to cease judging people.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm completely humored by your rant. I have to agree, I'd like better odds that "might" for my satisfaction.

For the record, I've not seen any of those ads, but loved the post.

Unknown said...

Im right with you there... Taylor and I both correct members of the immediate family for the tiMe and tiNe.

Melodie said...

You mean you're not also bothered by all of their ads where the "spokesperson" pronounced "ask" as "ax"?

Heather said...

LOL, "ain't" that the truth!