Thursday, July 8, 2010

vacation bible school week

After an early start in Atlantic City we came home in time for Tyler to try out our first tomatoe from our hanging tomatoe basket (he says it was good, eaten just like an apple).

Then my mom took him to his first day of Vacation Bible School, while I brought Jason to get his stitches removed. The doc said they look great, and Jason never cried at all during stitch removal (but did however cry when I took off his bandaid). Later Jason enjoyed showing of his scar to everyone.

We didnt' do much that afternoon. Too darn hot and couldn't get the little boys head wet. We did have his early intervention 6-month review with his case manager, speech therapist, and occupational therapist. Discussed progress, lack of progress, and signed him on for another 6 months of therapy.

That night I discovered jason will eat strawberries in a smoothie. Fun treat for everyone.



On Tuesday my mom left bright and early for her convention in New Orleans. Boys missed her right away.

Tyler had VBS, and then later that evening we tried out playing music at dinner time (as we learned that Jason eats better in social situations). Yep, he rocks out to the Beatles and even tried green beans (spit them out, but at least they entered his mouth).

And then a quick trip to the library and some errands.

On Wednesday, finally a gorgeous summer day, after VBS and Jason's naptime we had Mackenzie over for a playdate. We hit the lake and then had dinner back here.


On Thursday I surprised Tyler with a picnic lunch in the car after Vacation Bible School as we made our way to Hurricane Harbor for the first time. Tyler loved the little kids area, but the bigger slides were just a tad too deep where they ended in the pool for Tyler's liking and he refused to wear a vest, so he had to skip them. Jason proved to be afraid of the whole play area, opting to sit on the side and watch. And I learned that I really want a waterproof camera.




Believe it or not (after days of HOOOOOTTT temperatures), it was actually a little chilly and Ty was getting cold so we decided to dry off, leave, grab some quick McDonalds, and went back into Great Adventure. We didn't have a ton of time, but we got to ride a few rides, see the Wiggles show, and play in the play area. Jason even did the slide!





On Friday my dad stayed with Tyler (and later brought him to work) so I could head off to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) Specialty Care Center for his audiology appointment. He was very cooperative while I described my (and therapists) concerns and then later for testing. They did some sort of measurements with a probe in his ear, some other thing in his ear, and then a sound booth test. He passed without issue apparently, so I suppose that's a relief in knowing that his hearing is okay. Check that off the list. Now on to the next chapter, as the audiogist is recommending a neurologist or a developmental pediatrican. Fun never ends.

From there I rushed home in time to meet my dad back at the house to take Tyler to his last day of Vacation Bible School. We were back there again by 11:00 for Tyler's little ceremony/show. They performed some songs and talked about what they learned and such. Tyler was so proud of himself.





That night, after the boys were in bed, I set for my "graduation" run of the "couch-to-5K" program. At the beginning it tells you to run for time or distance (not both). For most people (especially those not running on a treadmill) it's easier to run for the set amount of time, so that's what they suggested and that's what I did. So at the end of the 9-week program you're supposed to be able to run 30 minutes straight OR a 5K. Since I ran for time, I wasn't even close to being able to run a 5K distance, being as I run so slow. For my graduation run I decided I wanted to truly graduate the program and run a 5K. So I persevered and "ran" (actually a slow jog) the entire distance of a 5K in just about 42 minutes. Slow, but I did it!

No comments: