Sunday, July 4, 2010

The last week of Kindergarten

On Tuesday Jason woke up seemingly feeling fine. Tyler was a little fascinated by Jason's boo-boo and therefore I guess felt a little more loving towards him...hence the close little morning snuggle.

While Tyler was at school Jason had a follow-up at the pediatrician. They said his head is stitched very nicely, so that was good. I was told to keep him out of the water (not fun when it was in the 90s with the ten-day forcast predicting the same). I asked him about his hearing, as I was instructed to do after his last appointment if he had not made speech gains at all in a month or two. They decided a "comprehensive audioligical work-up" was warranted, although they don't expect to find anything. After a little work on my part, appointment was set for July 2nd at CHOP (children's hospital of philadlephia) specialty care center.

Tyler got to bring in cupcakes that day to celebrate his "summer birthday". He was quite excited that he also got a little crown and treat bag.

I spent the rest of the afternoon chasing Jason around attempting to shield him from his own clumsiness as he was apparently bound and determined to reopen his head injury. You never realize how often your kid falls until they have the potential to do serious damage. Ugh. Celebrated surviving the day with a trip to chick-fil-a. At least it was air conditioned and didnt' involve water.

On Wednesday Sherri felt bad for me and my torment of staying home with the boys during this excessive heat, due to not being able to get Jason's head wet. She offered to pick Tyler up after lunch and she took him to the lake with her kids. Tyler had a great time, and Jason got to have Occupational Therapy without Tyler's incessant interruption.

That night, once the bandaid was off for cleaning, I finally got some decent pictures of the boo-boo.



Thursday afternoon Beth took Tyler after school and brought him home for a water playdate with Kenzie. The kids apparently had a ton of fun beating the heat in the slip-n-slide, water table, and wading pool. Meanwhile I got a taste of what first grade will be like with Tyler gone all day...sweet (a little sad, but not too sad..LOL).



I went to pick up Tyler and we all decided to pile in the minivan to run some errands and grab some dinner. Got caught in the midst of a total downpour and ate some nasty McDonalds, but it was nice having company for an otherwise boring chore.

On Friday I got Tyler ready to set off for his last day of Kindergarten. He was a bit emotional, sad to be leaving his teacher and friends.



I later walked down to pick up Tyler from his very last day of Kindergarten. He came bounding out, very excited by the festivities of the day. He said goodbye to Mrs. Rardin, and his classmates as well. It was pretty funny watching the kids saying goodbye, as if they would never see each other again. We live in a 1.25 square mile town...you're bound to see everyone again (in fact I think we saw at least 5 of them later that day at the lake). Anyway, on the way home Tyler opened up his report card, and was very proud of his perfect marks.



After a quick lunch I took the boys down to the lake (Jason covered in a waterproof bandage) to meet up with my friend Beth. My cousin was also down there with her girls, as was my aunt. My mom later joined us for a bit too, so we had a nice little gathering while the kids splashed and enjoyed their first day of summer vacation.

After the lake I quickly cleaned up the boys to head over to Smithville to celebrate Abigail's 4th birthday. The party was held at a cute little playground area (of which I was completely unaware). Luckily the weather cooled down a bit and was quite nice. The kids got to play, make cute little kites, blow bubbles, and of course eat cake. The boys had a great time, and I've determined that it was the best kind of summer birthday party. These pictures courtesy of Abigail's mommy (and grandmother) since I neglected my camera.




We got home later than usual for the boys, which meant that they got their first taste of lightening bugs this summer. Tyler announced that he was quite certain they were there to greet him and say "congratulations, you're a first grader now". LOL. As you can see in the picture, Tyler was fascinated, and proved to be an expert lightening bug catcher. Jason was in awe, and made the cutest little expressions when they would take off from his hands. Wish I had captured a picture of that.

1 comment:

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

Congrats to mom and Tyler for surviving the first year of school! Ouch on Jason's head. I'm terrible with blood and would have probably passed out after seeing that gash. Love the pic of Jason with the bubbles. He looks soooo amazed!