Wednesday, July 28, 2010

twilight camp week

On Tuesday morning the weather didn't look so hot, but we hadn't gotten the call that camp was cancelled. So we rode our bikes to camp only to find that it had in fact been cancelled. So we decided to take advantage of the fact that it was Tuesday, which is the free summer movie series at the Moorestown Mall. Granted I never would have chosen for the boys to watch "Rugrats", but I can't pass up a free movie experience, especially Jason's FIRST movie experience. I had plans to meet up with Missy and her 3 little girls, and then Erich joined us with Mackenzie and Olivia (I believe it was also her first movie). It worked out surprisingly well being that there were 7 children ages 6 and under. It also was nice having 3 adults so that we could keep an eye on each other's child while we did snack breaks, bathroom trips, or paced with children who were getting antsy. I'm happy to report that both my boys survived the entire movie (except a brief potty trip) and had a blast. We'll definitely be doing it again if the opportunity arises.




After the movie we did some bathing suit shopping. Never fun AT ALL, and I think Erich was smart to split up from us at that point. LOL. We eventually met back up together and drove across the street to Chick-fil-A. It was absolutely packed, but we enjoyed our meals (and buy-one get-one free meals for the kids) and killed at least 2 hours in there. Then it was a quick stop by the Old Navy for a swim shirt for Tyler and then we rushed on home.

After making it home in the rain we had just enough time to get ready before Twilight Camp. Twilight camp is a small evening camp, for 3 nights, for new Tiger Scouts. I was advised that there would be childcare, and I had no choice but to bring him (my parents were in AC) so I reluctantly brought Jason. As you can see from first photos, Jason was under the impression that he himself was an integral part of twilight camp. I even eventually had to give him my name tag to calm the fussing. He was quite disappointed he did not have an orange shirt like the rest of us.

I had no idea what to expect from Twilight Camp, but I was (for the most part) pleasantly surprised. They broke them up into small groups and completed different stations: some sort of clue hunting thing, wood project, archery, and games. The clue hunting thing was uneventful, and Jason was busy collecting sticks. I had to go bring him to the "daycare" during the wood project, as I was fairly confident that Jason and saws were not a good combination. He screamed the whole time until the rocked him in his stroller, where he'd proceed to scream again if they stopped for a second. Then it was on to archery. Tyler initially said he didn't want to do the Archery, but once I advised him that he would not get his "bead" for his activity to put on his name tag, he agreed to try. He turned out to love it, and did fairly well, despite the fact that they said his arms were so short that they weren't even sure he could operate the bow and arrow. LOL. I was quite proud of him! I finally retrieved Jason in time for games. It was a LONG and HOT day but Tyler had a blast! I was declared the "best mommy ever" for signing him up and bringing him to twilight camp. Can't beat that!









On Wednesday apparently both boys were exhausted from our late and active night at twilight camp. That, and the days of not napping, caught up to Jason. Here he is in my arms at about 8:30am...an extreme rarity in my world!

Wednesday proved to be less than thrilling. With the excitement of Marisa and the girls here, coupled with our hugely busy schedule, Jason had not nursed during the day nor napped in 7 days! Well since we made it that far I figured I wasn't going to cave and go back to nursing during the day. Well with just me and him in the house he was MISERABLE. Constantly whining to nurse, following me around, exhausted...but NOT sleeping. Fun times.

Not I shouldn't say Wednesday was without any excitement...because we had a chipmunk in the house. Yes, that's right, a chipmunk IN the house. Tyler had told me the night prior that he saw a chipmunk. I'm embarrassed to say that I wasn't sure if I believed him, despite his insistance that he was "100% positive there's a chipmunk". Well Wednesday I saw it with my own two eyes. Luckily I spotted it going under the oven so I called my dad, who instructed me to keep watch over as he drove home from work. When he got here he managed to baricade off the oven and blocking off any exits for the chipmunk, leading him straight to the door. So he took out the oven door, peeked under there, spotted the thing, grabbed a broom handle, and coaxed it out. It scampered out, looking quite confused, in the only direction it could go...out the door. So there was our excitement of the day. I was quite pleased that this even ocurred around lunchtime, BEFORE the occupational therapist arrived for the afternoon. I'm sure that is NOT something she would have wished to experience.

That evening we took off again for boyscout twilight camp. This time it was lightly drizzling, but due to thunder we had to start off indoors. This meant that the location to be used for "childcare" was occupied, so not only did I have to deal with Jason in there, but it had to be 90 degrees in there with stiffling humidity. Again, not fun. Tyler didn't seem to mind, occupied by his craft. Finally we did get to go back out for some knot-tying under a tent. I found this to be horrendously boring, and sent my mom a text that I was in knot-tying hell, which they seemed to get a kick out of. As usual though, Tyler was all over this. He LOVED knot-tying. And then we did have time for more archery. Again, a huge hit.



Thursday was finally a little more relaxed. We did our normal day camp drop-off and pick-up. For some reason my mom took these photos. This is how we go to/from camp. It's just how things are done in Medford Lakes. Guess it seems funny to outsiders, but a normal site to see here in the lakes. In fact it's not uncommon to see bike with bike trailers with beach gear attached, etc.


Luckily that evening my parents were home and my dad offered to bring Tyler to twilight camp. I was very happy to take him up on that offer, as again it was hot and sticky and I'd much rather NOT deal with Jason again there. So the boys went off to Twilight Camp. My dad was lucky enough to be spared "knot-tying hell", but instead got to be there for camp songs and smores making. What's with that luck? They also did archery, and Tyler got a bullseye! Meanwhile Jason and my mom and I took a little trip to Kohl's. After a non-existant nap for like the millionth day in a row, Jason was just too tired to take it anymore. Him sleeping in a cart was a site I had never seen before. Poor boo. And then we even got to fit in a trip to the library with just Jason. He loved it!

No comments: