Monday, July 12, 2010

the start of summer camp

Tuesday, after what seemed like a VERY long weekend, was finally the start of camp. Tyler was a little nervous (okay, a lot nervous) about the swim portion of camp. This year is the first year that he's in the full camp (not just preschool camp) which goes from 8:30-1:15. It's a longer day for him than kindergarten, and I knew he'd be fine...except for the swimming. I reluctantly dropped him off, along with his bike. I also had to hope he wouldn't melt, at the forecast was 103 that day. Poor baby!


After the kids set off on their first activity, they gave the parents a schedule. Since I then knew when they'd be heading to the lake, I later set off to spy on him. LOL. I saw them ride bikes past our side street on their way to the lake, learning that he's one of only 4 almost-first grade boys with training wheels still. Happy to see though that he mostly keeps up with the non-training wheel kids. As swim started (it was a free swim for the first day) I saw him just sitting in the sand. Thankfully a few minutes later he followed them in, so at least there were no tears and he was participating...at least that day anyway!

I went to pick him up that afternoon, and was informed by his counselor that he was stung by a bee. I initially assumed that he would have cried for perhaps hours, being as he tends to be a bit over dramatic. She informed me that he only cried a minute or two. I'm embarrassed to admit that I immediately assumed that Tyler must have THOUGHT he was stung by a bee, but truly wasn't, as a real bee sting would surely have resulted in mucho tears. I'm happy to report that I later saw the mark on his arm from the bite, so it was in fact a bee sting. To clarify, I'm not happy he was stung, but happy that he didn't' totally freak. And in fact, he was quite proud of his "battle wound". Too funny.

So first day of camp was a success. Enjoyed all the activities (playground/play time, swim, arts & crafts, lunch, music, and storytime) and was excited about day 2 (although still leery about swim).

That afternoon after camp (and some cool-off and chill-out time) we made a video to send to mom-mom for her birthday. I set up the camera, thinking I'd need to do a few "takes". This is the first shot, and I kept it. Too cute. The boys really miss their mom-mom.

That evening it was so hot, even in the house. The air conditioning just couldn't keep up and it was 80+ degrees in there, so I decided to take the boys to Chick-fil-A. Could totally justify that it was too hot to cook at home. LOL. On our way home, at around 6:45pm, it was still 100!

The rest of the week proved to be just as unbearable, as far as weather was concerned. We didn't' do too much outside of camp. Plus Tyler wasn't in the best of moods, presumably from being so tired and hot. Tuesday (as I mentioned), 103. Wednesday, 102. Thursday, 90. Friday, 90. And did I mention, HUMID?!?! Ugh. So NOT my thing.

1 comment:

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

LOL about the bee sting. I would totally be thinking the same thing about Morgan. Sorry to hear in your previous post that Jason banged the same spot AGAIN. You're going to have to put him in a helmet! Finally, Morgan is still in training wheels too. We are no where near close to taking them off either. Sigh.