Thursday, July 8, 2010

4th of July weekend

Saturday we started off bright and early with a walk to the farmer's market. The boys scored some free water bottles, and Tyler was excited that they had a couple of kids crafts. I bought some Jersey corn and blueberries, as well as a "green bag" (truly yellow) that I clearly didn't need. The lady at the stand told me to "think of it as a donation". I did. From there we walked to beach one to let the boys play on the playground before it got to insanely hot.


That evening Beth had us over for a little holiday BBQ. We ate burgers and hot dogs, corn, salad, and dessert...all while trying to beat the heat and insanity of our children. LOL.

Sunday, the 4th of July, was actually rather uneventful. I brought the boys to church that morning, for the first time in a long time. We went to the church where Tyler went to VBS. Jason screamed the whole time in the nursery. Tyler enjoyed himself. I felt rather uncomfortable. Hoping it will go better at a different church next time.

In the afternoon I brought the boys to my grandparents to check up on the garden. Corn is now higher than Tyler (by far) and the actual corn itself is maybe 6-8 inches long. Blackberries are ripening, peppers are getting bigger, a few tiny watermelons have started, we have a large cucumber, and many tomatoes are growing. Quite exciting. Afterwards we had a snack and hung inside in the air conditioning. Way too hot to be outside. The boys had fun playing and inspecting sea shells with magnifying glasses. Good times.






Sunday evening it was still blazing hot, and we had pretty much concluded that it was just too darn hot to do any typical 4th-of-july festivities, so Beth and I made a short little trip to Sonic and let the kids eat junk.




At our drive home, at around 6pm, it was still 93 and HUMID, so I definitely nixed the idea of any fireworks. Plus, Tyler said that they were "scary". So a normal night for the boys. I did hear some fireworks that night (they all got a late start) but the boys slept right through them! For the record, it was still 90 when they went to bed!

Monday started off with a little TV viewing

It was followed by some excitement of the unwanted kind. Jason managed to fall, AGAIN, this time on the (luckily padded) ottoman, right on the area of his stitches scar. It bruised right up and it seemed to be spreading open a bit and you could see blood pooling under the scar, but the skin held. I iced it for a while and eventually decided to call the pediatrician. They had me bring him in, and they said he was okay but I was lucky. Still thinking about wrapping him in bubble wrap.

No comments: