Monday, August 9, 2010

Catskills Camping, day 1

On Monday morning we set off for Beth and Erich's (all of 2 minutes away) to get started on our adventure. In case I hadn't mentioned it before, we were leaving for the Catskills for a 4-night trip. My sister-in-law said I was brave to take the boys camping...I was wondering if I weren't in fact insane. LOL. But we made the plans and I was determined to give the boys a camping experience.

Erich agreed to drive Mackenzie and Tyler in his vehicle, pulling their pop-up. Beth drove with me and the little ones. We were on the road at 9:51. Surprisingly everyone reportedly did well (Jason even napped for almost an hour) before we stopped for lunch. Enjoyed a meal at Burger King, used the bathrooms, gassed up, and got back on the road.

The ride was uneventful. Didn't seem quite as long as it should have, because Beth and I talked the whole way. I hadn't really thought of the fact that we don't normally get a chance to talk without being interrupted 17-hundred times by the older ones. The little kids were pretty easy and we chatted away! But as far as I know, it took about 5 hours in total.

We arrived and checked in at our campsite. We were disappointed to learn that they no longer have kids recreational activities. And due to the bear problem we were very restricted in our ability to unpack at our site (all food had to be within vehicles, etc). This proved to make things more difficult for sure.

We got set up at our campsite. Erich admittedly did 90% of the work, including setting up the tent for me and the boys. It took a long time and it was quite a while before we were ready to pack into the minivan to go out to the local grocery store and stock up on foods. We entered the store and were handed a notepad and pen. Apparently their scanner was broken and we had to write down the item and price of each food we wanted. Good times. And the kids were CRANKY and HUNGRY. We didn't get back to the campsite to "roast weenies" (Tyler's favorite thing of the night to say) until probably 8 or 9pm, waaaaay past my boys bedtime. I would tell you the exact time, but at that point my cell phone had died from constantly trying to search for a signal (unsuccessfully). But Jason held out nicely, and actually quite enjoyed the campfire.

After our late dinner it was time to clean up, secure the campsite from bears, and head in for a hopefully restful night of sleep.








No comments: