Sunday, April 18, 2010

hello routine!

On Monday I was thrilled to get Tyler back to school and Jason and I back to our routines that we weren't getting to take part in (exercise for me, regular naps for Jason in peace). After taking Ty to school Jason and I went out to do a little art walk with sidewalk chalk for the first time. Jason loved it!


Eventually, as always, he made his way across the street to look for the dogs behind the fence. He came across a dandelion, so then he had pollen (or some yellow substance) all mixed in with his snotty runny nose. Fun stuff.

That afternoon we had cancelled speech in advance so Jason could go to his audiology appointment. He thankfully was VERY cooperative, sitting on my lap as they piped the audiologist's voice and various tones into the room. He was apparently appropriately responsive to the voices and they could confirm that he can hear voices at least in one ear (perhaps the other ear isn't important??). However he was unresponsive to tones. They said at this age it isn't uncommon as they don't really know whether he heard the tones and chose to ignore them, or just didn't hear them at all. Apparently the only way to know for sure is to put him under sedation and then to watch his brain waves in response to the different tones. So at this point the audiologist said she thinks the pediatrician and speech therapist should be the ones to decide whether or not this further testing would be warranted.

Tuesday my mom took Ty to school so I could bring Jason for his cardiology appointment at the CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) Specialty Care Center. It's a really nice facility with wonderful staff...except for one. The first thing we had to do was weight/height and then an EKG. This poor nurse (I'm assuming that's what she was) I'm sure meant well, but she needs some training if she's gonna continue working at a CHILDREN'S hospital. In her defense Jason was NOT cooperative, but she should probably be aware that telling an 18-month-old that "you need to stop crying or you can't go back to your mom" isn't gonna help. She was visibly frustrated with him and NOT nice. I was almost in tears as I tried to hold him down as he screamed his head off. And she wasn't happy with me that he doesn't take pacifiers or anything else to calm him down and keep him in place. Luckily the actual cardiologist we saw was great with him, and she said based on her examination and the results of the EKG that they thought it was just a heart murmur. However, due to his "developmental delays" and the history of my heart condition, they decided to do an ultrasound. After all the screaming that he had done earlier thankfully he was worn out because he laid in my lap watching Elmo for probably 40 minutes while a very nice technician did the ultrasound. I guess I should be thankful he tired himself out so much earlier because if he had not cooperated during the ultrasound I was told it could have taken great than 1.5hours. So I guess it all worked out in the end. And, best of all, ultrasound revealed that it's just an "innocent heart murmur".

That night I had assumed that t-ball would be cancelled because it was raining, but we got no e-mail to confirm this. So we reluctantly got ready and head out and found out that in fact the game was on. A nasty yucky cold t-ball game.


Wednesday was another beautiful day. Lots of outdoor time with a VERY cranky little boy. Even got in some t-ball practice with Tyler at the lake (where it's less likely for Jason to get hit with a bat or a ball).


That day I gave Jason his first time-out. I realize that some 18-month-olds might understand this concept (Tyler was one of them) but Jason would not...at all. But he kept throwing things at Tyler and despite me telling/signing "no" and distracting him, he just wouldn't stop. So for Tyler's benefit I put Jason in time-out. Not sure if I should worry that Tyler seemed very excited that Jason was in time-out. Jason just stood in the hallway and screamed, likely just because I removed him from the situation he was enjoying. He stood still for about 2 seconds. I put him there again and eventually I "explained" his time-out to him. LOL. He didn't throw again for a few minutes, so I guess the distraction worked. And at least Tyler didn't feel like I was putting Jason first. Too funny.

Thursday was uneventful. Jason was STILL really cranky. I had my annual exam at the gynecologist (fun stuff) so my dad came home early to watch them (I had already cancelled this appointment twice). I was home just in time for Tyler's "spring has sprung" club at school, but my dad walked him there while Jason and I did some construction.

Later that night was yet another t-ball game. This time with perfect weather! And Tyler didn't need the tee once!

Friday we were supposed to get rain, so we did a library run, then produce junction, and then chick-fil-a. Jason decided that he can again do the play area climbing. Still won't slide, but it's a step forward again. Then the boys shared an ice cream. WITHOUT yelling and arguing. How did I get so lucky?

I am happy to report that I saw Jason making lots of attempts to "talk" and communicate. Not sure if I mentioned it, but he is definitely saying "nana" for "banana". He is babbling a ton more, even making a "g" sound a few time. He has been trying to sing with CDs and has been making noises more often. Too cute!

1 comment:

Homemade Happenings said...

Wow! You guys sure keep busy! I wish we had any kind of routine! :)