Friday, October 29, 2010

New Addition

Over a week ago my dad called my mom, asking if we wanted a dog. To explain to those that don't know, my parents had a dog, Brandi (a golden retriever) for 10 years. She passed away a few years ago and they said they weren't going to get another dog. That being said, my mom always said the only way she'd consider a dog is if someone were giving away a golden. Well, my dad sent a picture of this puppy, and of course who can say no to a cute puppy? She's not a full golden, but half golden and half Brittany spaniel. The golden retriever mommy had become pregnant by the neighbor's dog and they ended up with 7 unexpected puppies. All but two had been adopted (one they planned on keeping). So at this point my mom spoke to me and we both said yes. Unfortunately my dad came home saying that they probably had already found a family. He was assured that they would contact him if that "adoption" fell through.

Sunday morning my dad got a call, and long story short, the dog (which they named Bella) was available. We had already decided we wanted her, so we tried to ready the house, but decided we weren't telling the boys.

That day at noon Ty had a Tiger Scout meeting. They had fun making scrapbooks and playing kickball. Meanwhile Jason collected acorns.


When we got home, while Jason napped, my parents snuck out to go meet Bella. They obviously met the family she had been living with, as well as both of the dog's parents (the mom and the dad who lived next door). They said the parents were sweet dogs with good temperaments. I think they both felt guilty taking her from her mommy and brother. She cried on the way home.

So, here's Bella. Isn't she cute? Only 12 weeks old.

We called Ty outside, telling him we had a surprise for the family. I think he was surprised for sure, and I'm not totally convinced that he realized we meant that we were keeping her.




I woke Jason up for him to meet Bella. He was totally in love from the start.

He was insistent on giving her kisses. Too cute.




Bella finally made it in to her new home.

We spent that evening getting to know the new pup. Within less than an hour Jason had his first ever 2-word phrase, imitating us saying "goo gir" (good girl). And then he must have heard me say something to Tyler about her just being a "baby" and he immediately starting calling her "baybeee". So Bella is totally a therapy dog. Miss Cathy (his speech therapist) will be so happy. As for Tyler, he's a little more anxious around her. He likes her, but he's afraid. We're working on it.

After some playtime Jason insisted on reading to his "baybeee". He kept persisting, but Bella wasn't all that interested. Adorable nonetheless.

After the boys bedtime she had a little naptime with my dad.

I took that time to run out and get some necessities at Target, including Bella's Halloween costume (she'll be a butterfly) and some more new toys for her.

No comments: