Thursday, September 1, 2011

second week of august

On Monday Tyler started Vacation Bible School at our church (which we haven't been great about attending recently). It's a great program, and awesome for Tyler because it ran from 9-2! It gave him some structured activity again and gave me a break! He LOVED it!

Due to the lakes being closed, and very hot weather, we were desperate for some way to cool off. This pool on clearance at Walmart for $9 seemed like a great idea. The kids thought it was great fun, especially when you can add your own water slide element. The $9 clearance item is now in the trash as it was way too hard to set up but obviously can't be left up all the time. It was worth it for a few days of fun I suppose!


On Tuesday, after speech, we ran some errands. Meanwhile my mom and dad were taking my grandfather to the hospital for the second try at his surgery. After picking Tyler up at vacation bible school, we met my cousin and her 3 kids at the Discovery Museum. We were supposed to go to the lake, but due to the torrential downpour, the museum was a good alternative. The kids had a wonderful time and probably spent close to 3 hours playing (and playing nicely together too...always a bonus)! From there we went to Trader Joe's together and then to Chick-fil-a for dinner. A wonderful afternoon and evening for second cousins! And after numerous texts throughout the day we finally got confirmation that my grandfather's surgery went well. Great news!


On Thursday my mom had to watch Jason and pick up Tyler at vacation bible school while I went to the GI doctor. I've got 2 weeks to get some of the inflammation under control before they switch my medicines.

That night we were back to church for the closing ceremony (for lack of better word) of vacation bible school. Tyler enjoyed the ending to the skit/play, some songs, etc.

On Friday we had a pass to bring a friend free to Great Adventure, so my mom and I allowed Tyler to bring his friend Alex. They had a blast on rides, although I'm not sure Alex was quite up to some of them. Jason insisted on going on the log flume with the boys, but remains petrified of it. He however loved the foam ball area and became quite upset when it was time to leave. He proceeded to cry and my mom carried him (on her scooter) while he made a low grunting/growling noise. We weren't sure if maybe he were overtired and just self-soothing himself to sleep, however when I asked him what he was doing he quite confidently answered that he wasn't crying/whining he was doing "iss" (insert the noise he was making) because he didn't want to leave the ball area. Little stinker.











We had been planning all year on going to the Catskills in August with Beth and Erich (amongst others) to camp again, but due to my health and some other factors, we had to cancel the trip. Of course Tyler had his heart set on camping, so Bob and I decided to have a campout in his backyard for them. We ended up with gorgeous weather on friday, so we set up the tents. We cooked hotdogs on the grill and roasted marshmallows and he even brought out the TV so the boys could watch a movie outside (How to Train Your Dragon). They had a blast. It took a long time but Jason eventually fell asleep sometime after midnight (I almost gave up and resorted to setting up the pac-n-play inside). He was up a few times in the middle of the night and there were only minimal tears. The boys were sad we weren't staying the whole weekend, but one night was certainly plenty (Tyler emotionally was done...lack of sleep and poor diet are not a good combination for him behaviorally). Anyway, I'm glad I can say that I took them camping, even if it was just in a backyard!






On Saturday night my mom watched Jason while Tyler and I had a little date night. We went to see his friend/classmate Adele perform with Pinelands Players in Cinderella. She was an adorable little townsperson and mouse. Tyler was surprised and pleased to see that his camp art counselor was in fact Cinderella. It was a really cute show and I'm glad we were able to go.



Sunday afternoon, in the midst of a total downpour, we made our way to Lakehurst for a baby shower. My friend Michele (who had babysat Tyler as a newborn when I went back to work part-time) was hosting a babyshower for her daughter Samantha. It was great to see everyone and we had a nice time. The boys even enjoyed themselves! Oh, and I got to show Tyler the house we had lived in when he was born.

No comments: