Friday, January 15, 2010

just when I think I have it all figured out

On Monday they came and did the paperwork for the financial portion of Jason's therapy services. As expected, we do not owe any money so services will be 100% free. Yea!

Early in the week I found tooth 6 in Jason's little mouth.

Wednesday was maybe day 4 or 5 of a "healthy eating" spree out our house. I was hoping that maybe food was playing a part in Tyler's behavior and I was shocked to see that Tyler was responding beautifully. He had had 3 days of wonderful behavior, and was like a new child (or should I say, I had my old child back). I posted about this on facebook and was shocked with the number of responses. I began to be convinced that perhaps red food dyes were playing a big part in the negative behavior (which I had always questioned). After all the holidays (when the behavior got worst) were riddled with cookies and sprinkles and junk food and candy canes...not to mention the red food dye in the cough medicine he had taken for probably a week straight. Well, the next day shot that theory down, as he had terrible behavior from the point he woke up. Cooincidence or not, Jason had had probably his worst night EVER that night and the boys rooms are separated by only a very thin door so my mom thought that maybe he was just really tired (also something we had questioned). At this point, who knows.

Speaking of Jason having a HORRENDOUS night, I actually took my friend Beth up on the offer to come over and listen to his lungs (she's a nurse...used to be a peds nurse). Apparently, just as the doctor's have said twice (did I mention I went a second time????) his lungs are clear. At this point I was actually hoping maybe it was something more because at least then they could medicate him, but apparently it's just a waiting game. He's miserable though. MISERABLE!!!

Thursday was finally a "warm up" in weather and I think it was the high 30s when I picked Ty up from school so I actually put Jason in the stroller and walked. I figured the fresh air may do him some good. I put together Tyler's new scooter (which he got from Grandmom and Pop-pop John for Christmas) and we met his friend Mackenzie at the beach for a playdate while my mom stayed with napping Jason.

Last night I finally gave in and gave Jason 1/4 teaspoon of Delsym before bed (the doctor on the 2nd visit said I coudl do it if he were really struggling). He did much better, but by 4am he was caughing so much that he was chocking, so he spent the rest of the night on my chest. However, there was much less crying for Tyler to hear and he woke up in a great mood. We did have an incident right after school, but he's doing well otherwise. So, at this point, I'm hoping and praying that his poor behavior is very much linked to red dye issues and lack of sleep. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd prefer that thought over the one that says he's just plain screwed up!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Red dye is horrible! 90% of the issues I had with Ken were directly related to when he had a lot of red dye.

I think you have discovered the issue!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

That's great news that Jason's therapy is going to be covered. NONE of Morgan's has been covered and we are almost up in the five digits. Sounds like you are on the right track for Tyler's behavior too!