Thursday, July 14, 2011

third week of June

On Monday after a make-up OT session and school we made our way to Pump it Up for a special "birthday party". Beth and Erich and the kids joined us for this special event that we had attended last year. For something like $4/kid they got to have maybe an hour of jump time, an airbrush tattoo, a slice of pizza, drink, and birthday cake. I wasn't sure what to expect with Jason, but he was finally tall enough so I figured I'd give it a try. Well he immediately made his way into a bounce house and bounced uncontrollably for 5+ minutes. After that he got down and reluctantly made his way up the huge ladder for the slide with his brother (which absolutely shocked me). He slid down on his belly and proceeded to do so over and over again for the rest of our bounce time. So funny!




On Tuesday, after speech, I met my friend Maria at Chick-fil-A for a playdate with a couple other moms I know (Julie and Julie). The kids had a great time eating and then playing and it was nice to see Jason in a setting of a playdate just for him...not that he interacted too much. Right from there we went to my dad's school to meet Luna, a chocolate lab who may be in need of a new home. She was so sweet and calm and loving and Jason absolutely loved her. As of now she needs surgery on her ear, so we're still waiting to hear word on whether she'll be looking for a new home soon afterwards.



That evening we were supposed to see the Riversharks game but the weather was very iffy and occasionally raining so we didn't want to take the chance of bringing my mom's scooter out in the rain. Luckily the Riversharks are going to let us trade in the tickets for another day.

On Wednesday I dragged out Tyler's old plastic golf set for Jason to play with. He really got a kick out of it, well, when he wasn't distracted by the big truck across the street. Typical boy!



I also got to deal with some drama over undelivered packages from snapfish (father's day photo presents) from UPS. Long story short, Snapfish rocks. UPS sucks.

That evening we attended the schools "arts night" where the 2nd graders performed and we got to roam the halls looking for our kids masterpieces. And of course, as usual, it was a HOT evening in a school with no air!


That evening, my regular night to go to Bob's to visit once the boys are in bed....

On Thursday the parents had been invited to attend "Author's Tea" at Tyler's school. After a hectic trip to Shoprite for iced tea I had volunteered to bring (which of course never got drank) we biked on over to the school. They basically have each class (individually) in the all-purpose room where they each sit with their parent(s) and read them some of their work they have done throughout the year. Some parents obviously couldn't attend so we also took time rotating and looking at other kids journals and such. I must say, Tyler's reading/writing ability still amazes me. I don't like to brag, but I'm so proud of him! Then we all enjoyed beverages and cookies and such.


Thursday afternoon we had the physical therapy evaluation by early intervention that the neurologist recommended. Of course literally just days before this his occupational therapist had been working on teaching him to use steps properly, and on the day of this PT evaluation he managed to go up/down the steps just fine. So he only had a 19% delay, making him inelligible for PT through early intervention. He said that if he had not been able to do the steps he would have qualified. He did have other concerns about him and he said that occupational therapy would continue to address those concerns. I wasn't surprised by the results (I hadn't ever assumed he'd need PT) and am honestly somewhat relieved to not have to fit another therapy into our schedule!

That evening, since we had been unable to attend Scarlett's actual birthday party, we had been invited to a small party at her house on her actual birthday. We left as soon as we got done the evaluation (for the record, Jason wouldn't do the steps went we left...go figure) and still arrived after we had planned on getting there. But the kids had fun playing in the front yard for a while. Jason had been trying to "dribble" (for lack of a better word) a large ball and apparently it it accidentally bumped him in the head and he lost his balance and fell. He started to whine so I asked him what happened (I hadn't seen it) and he proceeded to SHOW me a reenactment of what had happened. We all started laughing so of course he repeated it, so you'll find a short video clip here of his circus monkey antics. After pizza and cake we were back outside for playground play. Jason also did some t-ball practice, and in the process learned the phrase "crack me up". He quite likes it.






On Friday, shortly after school (Tyler had a half day), we set off for the boys dentist appointments. It was Jason's first appointment. Even though he's not even 3, I thought it would be a good idea to have him try to get used to the dentist early, since he can often be very defensive about touch and personal space and such. Apparently I had nothing to worry about in that department, because after watching Tyler have his appointment he proudly climbed right up in the chair and was sooooo cooperative. Apparently what I needed to worry about wasn't his behavior but actually his teeth. Poor baby has 3 cavities already. It seems you're supposed to take floride supplements if you have well water, and I'm sure the 2 years of nursing round the clock didn't help. It made me feel totally crappy. Tyler as well had 3 cavities so the presciption for floride was filled that evening. And that 2nd loose tooth of his was so loose that they gently pulled it. For the record, it was pajama day at school, so yes, he's in his pajamas in that picture!



On Saturday we had a party to attend at The Discovery Museum for my cousin's son Patrick. They boys had a great time with a few crafts, yummy food, and delicious cake before setting out to explore the museum.




My parents met me at the Discovery Museum and took over with the boys so I could met Bob at his house where we left to attend his friend's big pig roast party (which I had reserved "child care" for months prior...apparently it's a big deal). The boys got to go blueberry picking with my parents and brother Chris (I was a little jealous about this...it's an annual tradition) but I promised I'd be going another time. They also made brownies. Yum!



Meanwhile we had a great time with his friends at the party. The night ended with a fireworks display.

After having to wake Jason from his nap Bob and I and the boys joined the rest of my family at Jim & Cara's for a father's day BBQ.



After our BBQ/gathering my parents went to Atlantic City for the night and we came back home to relax before bed.

No comments: